Falafel with Tahini ! Recipe
Falafel is a middle eastern street food made with ground chickpeas.
Its a vegetarian substitue for meat and can be eaten as an appetizer or as a sandwhich using pita bread with lettuce, tomamtoes, onions and Tahini sauce (made from sesame seeds) or even as a Veggie burger.
Here I have made Falafel and a little Tahini sauce.
Its crunchy on the outside and smooth on the inside and taste real good when served hot!
Give it a try, you'll see why its a Midlle eastern favorite!
- ChickPeas - 2 cups ( its best not to use canned chickpeas)
- Garlic cloves - 3 (minced)
- Green chillies - 3-4 ( chopped)
- Chopped corriander leaves - 3tbsp
- Chopped mint leaves - 3tbsp
- Chopped Parsley - 2tbsp
- Chopped Red Onions / Green Onions - 1/2 cup
- Corriander seeds - 2tbsp
- Cumin seeds - 2tbsp
- Dry red chilli - 2-3 (optional , for a spicy touch)
- Pepper powder - 2tbsp
- Salt - to taste
- Oil - for deep frying
- For making Tahini:
- White sesame seeds - 3tbsp
- Extra virgin Olive oil - 3tbsp
- Honey - 1tsp ( optional)
- Soak the chickpeas in water for 10hrs or overnight and drain the water and make sure the chickpeas are dry.
- In a pan heat 1tsp oil and saute the garlic and green chillies until garlic turns mild brown and soft.
- In another pan roast the Corriander seeds, Cumin seeds and dry Red Chillies and grind them into a fine powder.
- In a food processor add the chickpeas, the powdered spices, sauted garlic and green chillies, corriander leaves, mint leaves, chopped parsley, Onions, pepper powder and salt and pulse the mixture until its coarsely ground ( do not grind it into a paste)
- Heat oil to 375degrees and make the ground chickpea mixture into small ping-pong sized balls / mini sausage shaped / burger pattie shaped.
- Fry until the falafels turn a nice chocolate brown.
- For the Tahini:
- Heat a pan and Roast the sesame seeds on a pan for 30-40 seconds(do not let them turn brown, the tahini sauce will taste bitter then)
- Grind together the sesame seeds with the extra virgin Olive oil and some honey(optional) until it turns a smooth consistency. Add some salt to taste.
- Serve the falafel as an appetizer or in Pita pocket with the Tahini , lettuce, onion and tomato salad or simply as a sandwhich/burger , SO MANY OPTIONS!!! :-)
Add Recipe to
|Amount Per Serving||%DV|
|Serving Size 40g|
|Recipe makes 10 servings|
|Calories from Fat 48||71%|
|Total Fat 5.45g||7%|
|Saturated Fat 0.76g||3%|
|Trans Fat 0.0g|
|Total Carbs 4.94g||1%|
|Dietary Fiber 0.4g||1%|