Eight Treasure Rice Recipe
Cost per serving $1.29 view details
- 2 c. long-grain white rice
- 3 c. glutinous rice
- 2 Tbsp. groundnut/peanut oil
- 6 x Chinese dry mushrooms soaked 45 min in hot water, squeezed dry, stems discarded, caps finely diced
- 2 x dry Chinese sausages (lup chiang) diced
- 1 x chicken thigh boned and diced
- 1 Tbsp. dry shrimp soaked 20 min in hot water and liquid removed
- 1/2 c. lotus seeds soaked in cool water for 3 to 4 hrs, then liquid removed
- 1/2 c. diced onion
- 1/2 c. diced bamboo shoots
- 2 Tbsp. light soy sauce
- 1/2 tsp Five spice pwdr
- 2 tsp sesame oil
- 1 tsp salt
- 2 x scallions (spring onions) minced
- Combine the rices and wash 3 times.
- Heat the groundnut oil in a wok till almost smoking. Stir-fry the mushrooms, the Chinese sausages, chicken, dry shrimp, lotus seeds, onion, and bamboo shoots for 1 to 2 min. Add in the soy sauce, 5-spice power, sesame oil, and salt. Stir-fry to mix well.
- Bring the rice to a rapid boil and continue to cook by the absorption method. When most of the water has been absorbed, add in the stir-fried ingredients, mixing them through the rice. Simmer, covered, on low heat for 20 min. Turn off the heat, and allow to stand for 10 min.
- Stir the rice with chopsticks, adding the minced scallions. Remove the rice from the pot and pack into a lightly oiled bowl, pressing in firmly. (If preparing a day in advance, chill in the bowl till just before needed.) Steam the rice in the bowl for 10 min, and invert to serve.
- This recipe yields 6 to 8 servings.
- Comments: This is the celebrated eight-treasure rice eaten at Chinese New Year. In the early days of the Han dynasty (202 BC-AD 220), rice was considered a delicacy as millet was the staple grain. Eight-treasure rice depicts the almost spiritual significance of rice to the Chinese people, bringing good fortune and blessings to all at the beginning of a New Year.
Add Recipe to
Add the recipe to which day?
Adding to Planner
|Amount Per Serving||%DV|
|Serving Size 225g|
|Recipe makes 6 servings|
|Calories from Fat 33||5%|
|Total Fat 3.71g||5%|
|Saturated Fat 0.78g||3%|
|Trans Fat 0.02g|
|Total Carbs 130.21g||35%|
|Dietary Fiber 4.8g||16%|