Egyptian Edamame Stew Recipe
Egyptian Edamame Stew is a spicy take on the traditional Egyptian classic "ful medames". This recipe uses Edamame which is fresh green soybeans. It is found in the frozen section of most large supermarkets. It comes packaged both (in the shell) and shelled. You will need the shelled variety for this recipe. Total recipe time is just (35) minutes. Ingredients include: Edamame, onion, zucchini, garlic, cilantro and tomatoes. It is well seasoned with cumin, coriander and cayenne pepper. This would serve as a great meal rotation for the Lenten season also. It is a low calories, low fat, low cholesterol, low sodium, low arbohydrates, low sugars, vegetarian, heart-healthy, diabetic-friendly and Weight Watchers (6) PointsPlus recipe.
- 1-1/2 (10 oz) packages frozen shelled edamame, (about 3 cups), thawed
- 1 tbsp extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 1 large zucchini, diced
- 2 tbsp minced garlic
- 2 tsp ground cumin
- 1 tsp ground coriander
- 1/8 tsp cayenne pepper, or to taste
- 1 (28 oz) can diced tomatoes, undrained
- 1/4 cup chopped fresh cilantro, or mint
- 3 tbsp lemon juice
- Bring a large saucepan of water to a boil. Add edamame and cook until tender, 4 to 5 minutes or according to package directions. Drain.
- Heat the olive oil in a large saucepan over medium heat. Add in onion; cook covered, stirring occasionally, until starting to soften, about 3 minutes. Add in zucchini and cook covered until the onions are starting to brown, about 3 minutes more. Add in the garlic, cumin, coriander and cayenne. Cook, stirring until fragrant, about 30 seconds. Stir in the tomatoes and bring to a boil; reduce heat to a simmer and cook until slightly reduced, about 5 minutes.
- Stir in the edamame and cook until heated through, about 2 minutes more. Remove from heat and stir in cilantro (or mint) and lemon juice.
Add Recipe to
|Amount Per Serving||%DV|
|Serving Size 249g|
|Recipe makes 4 servings|
|Calories from Fat 66||40%|
|Total Fat 7.64g||10%|
|Saturated Fat 0.99g||4%|
|Trans Fat 0.01g|
|Total Carbs 17.65g||5%|
|Dietary Fiber 6.0g||20%|