Eggplant And Garbanzo Stew Recipe
Cost per recipe $7.38 view details
- 1 lrg eggplant (2 1/2-3 lbs) peeled
- 1/2 c. extra virgin olive oil (for sauteing)
- 1 lrg Spanish onions coarsely minced
- 1 lrg carrot coarsely minced
- 1 c. garbanzo beans liquid removed chickpeas or possibly cici beans
- 1 x clove garlic or possibly more
- 1 tsp kosher salt
- 1/2 tsp fresh grnd black pepper or possibly to taste
- 1/4 tsp grnd allspice
- 3 lrg tomatoes peeled and coarsely minced (I'd use canned, crushed or possibly whole)
- 1 tsp mint dry
- 2 Tbsp. fresh cilantro chopped
- Cut eggplant in half lengthwise, and lengthwise again into 1 inch strips.
- Cut each strip into 1 1/2 inch lengths.
- In large, non-reactive saucepan, heat the oil. Add in onion, and stir over medium heat till softened, 3-4 min. Add in carrot, beans, garlic, salt pepper and allspice. Cover and simmer, stirring occasionally in a folding
- motion, for 10 min.
- Add in tomatoes and sufficient water to bring liquid to half the depth of the solids. Cover and continue cooking for 20 min.
- Stir in the mint, cover and cook till eggplant is very tender, about 10 min more.
- Serve warm, room temperature , or possibly cool. Stir in cilantro just before serving.
- The original source is "Cooking Under Cover" by Linda and Fred Griffith.
- It calls for 1/2 c. extra virgin olive oil to cook/saute/fry, but we all know how to drastically reduce which.
Add Recipe to
Add the recipe to which day?
Adding to Planner
|Amount Per Recipe||%DV|
|Recipe Size 1427g|
|Calories from Fat 995||66%|
|Total Fat 112.83g||141%|
|Saturated Fat 15.57g||62%|
|Trans Fat 0.0g|
|Total Carbs 115.65g||31%|
|Dietary Fiber 33.8g||113%|