Eggless Chocolate and Walnut Scones Recipe
These scottish beauties are so easy to bake at home and it's just a matter of few minutes when scones are in your table straight from the oven. In my definition, scones are something between cookie and a muffin, the crumbly outer texture reminds of cookie and softer interior is more like muffin.
- 2 cups all purpose flour
- 1/3 cup granulated white sugar
- 1 tsp baking powder
- 1/2 tsp baking soda
- 1 tsp vanilla essence
- 100g cold butter, cut into small cubes
- 1/2 cup buttermilk, you may require even lesser
- 1/2 cup dried blueberries
- 1/2 cup chopped walnuts
- 1 cup dark chocolate">chocolate chips or dark chocolate roughly chopped
- 2 tbsp light brown sugar for sprinkling on top
- Preheat the oven to 180C degrees. Line a 9 inch pie dish with parchment paper.
- Combine the flour, white sugar, baking powder, and baking soda in the bowl with a wire whisk.
- Add the butter and rub it flour and butter gently with your fingers until it has bread crumb like texture. This can be done in a food processor as well pulse butter and dry ingredients for 15 minutes.
- Transfer the dough to a bowl and stir in the blueberries, walnuts, chocolate chips and vanilla.
- Stir in the buttermilk until just moistened. Bring the dough together with your hands. If the dough is still too crumbly, stir in more buttermilk a tiny splash at a time, but try to avoid over mixing.
- Transfer the dough into pie dish and pat into an 8-inch (20 cm) round with thickness of 1/2 inch. Use a pastry scraper to divide the dough into 8 big size wedges or 12 sleek wedges. Brush the tops of each wedge with the beaten egg white (optional) & generously sprinkle with light brown sugar.
- Bake the scones for 25 minutes, or until the tops are golden brown. Re cut the slices immediately with a pastry cutter if need be.
- Cool completely on racks before storing.
Add Recipe to
|Amount Per Serving||%DV|
|Serving Size 105g|
|Recipe makes 8 servings|
|Calories from Fat 167||42%|
|Total Fat 18.98g||24%|
|Saturated Fat 10.65g||43%|
|Trans Fat 0.0g|
|Total Carbs 50.57g||13%|
|Dietary Fiber 2.0g||7%|