DUCK VADAVAM CURRY (Pondicherry, India) Recipe
This is a duck curry typically made my Pondicherry people, who have a Tamil-French background. My Mum is from this State and is a French citizen, and I learnt this dish from her.
Cost per serving $1.92 view details
- Ducks …..2 ( cut in curry size pieces)
- Chilli Powder 3 – 4 tablespoons)
- Coriander powder 6 tbs)
- Cummin powder 2 tbs)
- Pepper powder 1 tbs) all this has to be ground to a fine paste
- 1 ball of vadavam, 1tsp cumin seeds, 1tsp peper (broil and grind coarsely
- 1 CUP OF OIL
- 1 small ball of tamarind ( take out the tamarind juice)
- Grated coconut, broiled and ground into a fine paste.
- For seasoning
- 2 large chopped onions.
- 10 cloves of garlic
- 4 whole slit green chillies
- Heat oil in a pressure cooker . Put in the garlic, then the onions and the green chillies. When it is slightly brown add the chilli powder, coriander powder, cumin powder and the pepper powder and keep frying for a few minutes, by sprinkling water a little at a time. When it is nicely fried, add the vadavam coarsely ground masala and fry a little more. Add the duck pieces and salt and pressure cook for about 20 minutes. Open the cooker after a few minutes and first check if the duck is cooked. Different kinds and sizes of duck cook for different lengths of time. If it is not cooked put it under pressure for another 10 mins. If the duck is cooked add the tamarind juice and the coconut and let it boil for another 10 minutes without pressure.
- Garnish with coriander leaves on top.
Add Recipe to
Add the recipe to which day?
Adding to Planner
|Amount Per Serving||%DV|
|Serving Size 115g|
|Recipe makes 8 servings|
|Calories from Fat 405||89%|
|Total Fat 46.1g||58%|
|Saturated Fat 13.12g||52%|
|Trans Fat 0.7g|
|Total Carbs 8.16g||2%|
|Dietary Fiber 3.0g||10%|