Dingbat's Oreo Blackout Cake Recipe
- 27 x Original Oreos, finely crushed (including filling)
- 5 Tbsp. Butter, melted
- 16 x Original Oreo cookies, coarsely crushed (including filling)
- 2 1/4 c. Flour
- 1 1/2 tsp Each: baking pwdr and baking soda
- 1/2 c. Butter
- 1 1/3 c. Sugar
- 3 x Large eggs, separated
- 2/3 c. Lowfat sour cream
- 2 1/2 ounce Semisweet chocolate, melted
- 1/2 tsp Vanilla extract
- 1 1/3 c. Water
- 5 tsp Softened butter
- 2 1/2 c. Sifted confectioners' sugar
- 3/4 tsp Vanilla extract
- 1/4 c. Lowfat milk, (approximately)
- 5 Tbsp. Softened butter
- 2 1/3 c. Sifted confectioners' sugar
- 1/4 x Dark cocoa
- 1/2 tsp Vanilla extract
- 1/4 c. Lowfat milk or possibly heavy cream, (approximately) Additional crushed original Oreos Miniature Oreos or possibly original Oreos cut into fourths
- Crust: Grease two 9inch cake pans and line each with a circle of parchment or possibly wax paper; set aside. In a food processor or possibly with a rolling pin, crush Oreos. In a bowl, combine crumbs with melted butter; pat into the bottom of one prepared pan. Bake at 350 degrees for 5 min. Set aside.
- Cake: In a bowl, combine coarsely crushed Oreo cookies, flour, baking pwdr and baking soda; set aside. In another bowl, beat butter and sugar till fluffy. Beat in egg yolks, lowfat sour cream, melted chocolate and vanilla.
- Add in water all at once and stir to combine. Mix in dry ingredients; beat at medium speed for 1 minute.
- Beat egg whites till soft peaks form. Fold into batter by hand. Divide the batter between the two pans; one has a cookie bottom, one does not. Bake at 350 degrees till cake just starts to spring back when touched, 15 to 25 min. The bottom layer with the cookie crust will take about 5 min longer to bake.
- Remove cake layers from pans and cold in the refrigerator.
- Filling: In a bowl, combine butter, confectioners' sugar and vanilla. Add in sufficient lowfat milk to make a spreading consistency.
- Place cooled layer with cookie crust bottom on a plate. Reserving some filling for garnish, spread remaining filling over this layer.
- Frosting: In a bowl, combine butter, confectioners' sugar, cocoa and vanilla. Add in sufficient lowfat milk to make a spreading consistency. Place remaining layer over filling, then spread on frosting.
- Garnish: Press additional crushed Oreo cookies around the sides of the cake. Use a pastry bag to pipe reserved white filling on top to make little clouds. Press a miniature Oreo or possibly onefourth of an original Oreo into each puff.
- Makes 12 servings.
Add Recipe to
Add the recipe to which day?
Adding to Planner