Deviled Ham & Cheese Sandwich Spread for a Crowd Recipe
Back in the mid 60's my roommate Joan made this deviled ham sandwich filling and what's different about it than any I've tried since is the addition of shredded cheese. A quick call to Joan recently helped better approximate ingredients and amounts. Save this recipe so you can bring new life to leftover Easter ham! It makes 2 party size servings for about 30 people (see Photo 2.) To decrease amount for smaller gatherings, scroll down to "Number of servings," change it and click "Calculate." (NOTE: Buy a ham slightly larger than 1 pound so when the rind is removed, there's 1 pound of ham remaining.) Thanks, Joan, for wonderful roomie memories, and fond recollections of those yummy ham & cheese sammies!
- 1 pound ham, rind removed
- 8 ounces cheddar cheese, finely shredded
- 1/4 cup red onion, minced
- 1/4 cup sweet pickles, minced
- 1 1/4 cups mayonnaise
- 1 teaspoon Dijon mustard, or more to taste
- 1 tablespoon sweet pickle juice
- Sandwich bread, crusts removed
- Butter, softened but not melted
- Chunk ham into large pieces and put through a grinder with a coarse blade, or pulse-chop in food processor. Place in large mixing bowl and add cheese, onions and pickles.
- In a small bowl mix together mayonnaise, mustard, and pickle juice. Stir dressing into ham and cheese mixture until well coated. Taste and adjust as desired - perhaps a dash of hot sauce or more mustard?
- Spread butter lightly but thoroughly over bread slices (this helps prevent any excess moisture from filling seeping through to bread as they stand on platter. Spread filling over buttered slice and top with remaining bread slice. Cut into desired serving sizes, arrange on platter, cover and refrigerate . Note: I prefer to cut the buttered bread slices BEFORE spreading filling on top to prevent any filling from squishing out the sides - takes a little more time to do that but looks much better.
Add Recipe to
|Amount Per Serving||%DV|
|Serving Size 38g|
|Recipe makes 30 servings|
|Calories from Fat 101||80%|
|Total Fat 11.45g||14%|
|Saturated Fat 3.04g||12%|
|Trans Fat 0.0g|
|Total Carbs 1.46g||0%|
|Dietary Fiber 0.1g||0%|