Deer Jerky (Beef or any livestock will do) Recipe
Cost per serving $0.00 view details
- Deer type animals are best as the fats do Not cause heart troubles or taste vile in the fats as a rule when older. A Lot less fat is good in this case. Excellent to make American Indian Pemmican for Survival purposes.
- Skin and cut up the animal to major muscle groups. Those suited best for steaks and roasts set aside if desired. We then cut meats into pieces of approximate . size of 1x1x3 and drop these into VERY Heavily salted water in an enamel cooker kettle (or maybe stainless?) and boil the meat hard for 5 minutes for a salt cure result.
- In this we usually added the spices we liked the most; hot peppers and garlic mostly with Black Pepper and a bit of Sage.
- Take this out and Drain over the kettle or a different enamel kettle to collect the corrosive salt solution. ( A refrigerator rack works Very well as it is not affected by the salt solution. This is then smoked when dried off to just moist over Alder, Apple, Maple wood smoke at a cool smoke temp of about 150 degrees.
- This goes on for 3-4 days per batch of about 30-50 pounds.
- When placed in hot jars and heated till about 180-225 degrees, the lids are added and sealed onto the Mason jars. We liked the half gallons the most as the wide necks make Jerky Grabbing a lot easier. The expected life of this is over 20 years.
Add Recipe to
Add the recipe to which day?
Adding to Planner
|Amount Per Serving||%DV|
|Serving Size 0g|
|Recipe makes 30 servings|
|Calories from Fat 2||67%|
|Total Fat 0.25g||0%|
|Saturated Fat 0.1g||0%|
|Trans Fat 0.0g|
|Total Carbs 0.04g||0%|
|Dietary Fiber 0.0g||0%|