Deep-South Amalgamation Cake Recipe
This is an old fashion ,traditional dessert in the South. It apparently has been around for many years. One can add just about anything in this cake , and it will stand out as a big winner. It takes many steps and patience, but the wait is worth it. This is not an original recipe but I have made some changes.
- 1 box white cake
- 7-8 egg yolks
- 2 T. flour
- 2 C. Sugar
- 1 C. butter
- 2 cups each walnuts and pecans
- 2 C. raisins
- 1C. coconut
- 1 C. sugar
- 1/2 C. hot water
- 2-3 egg whites
- 1. Bake white cake as directed, in two 8 inch pans.
- 2. Make the filling by combining egg yolks, flour, 2 cups of sugar and butter.
- 3.Cook, stirring until thicken. Add nuts, raisins and coconuts. Mix well.
- 4. Spread the filling between the layers of cooled cake, on sides and top as well.
- 5. In a sauce pan, combine the sugar and water, stirring well. Boil slowly , do not stir. Using a spoon,check the mixture. Fill the spoon with the mixture. It should spin a long thread like. Check the temperature of the liquid. It should be about 240 degrees.
- 6. In a bowl, beat the egg whites with a mixer until they are stiff. Pour the syrup into the egg whites and continue beating. It should be fluffy and hold its shape.
- 7. Spread over cake. Serve warm or chilled, with ice cream.
Add Recipe to
|Amount Per Serving||%DV|
|Serving Size 172g|
|Recipe makes 12 servings|
|Calories from Fat 296||40%|
|Total Fat 34.35g||43%|
|Saturated Fat 12.66g||51%|
|Trans Fat 0.0g|
|Total Carbs 109.28g||29%|
|Dietary Fiber 3.3g||11%|