Decadent Cherry Chocolate Dirtcake Recipe
Spring and summer is busy season for a favorite southern dessert, dirtcake. It contains no dirt and isn't even a cake. What it is however, is a very delicious and creamy layered dessert, perfect for any occasion.
Fresh and sweet cherries really put this dessert over the top. The hardest part is figuring out what serving bowl to use to showcase it's bounty!!
- 1 18 oz. pkg. chocolate sandwich cookies
- 1 pkg. instant vanilla pudding
- 2 c. milk
- 2 8 oz. containers of whipped topping or 1 lb. divided
- 1/2 lb. fresh cherries, de-seeded and halved
- In a food processor, pulse cookies until they resemble the texture of garden top soil. SAVE about 5 cookies for embellishment in bottom of serving dish. Set aside about 4 oz. dirt for top garnish and for bottom. Set aside.
- Prepare pudding as directed. Fold in 1 container of whipped cream.
- Place whole cookies in the bottom and along sides of serving glass and sprinkle in some of the dirt between spaces between the cookies like grout.
- Arrange cherry halves with cut side facing out along tops of cookies around the bottom and fill with dirt to just cover cookies
- Pour in vanilla cream and smooth with a rubber spatula.
- Spread remaining dirt atop cream. Carefully smooth with back of rubber spatula.
- Stir second container of whipped cream, and place in large heap in middle of dirt layer. Carefully spread in outward strokes from middle to completely and evenly cover top of bowl or dish. Garnish with reserved cookie dirt and with halved cherries a desired. Refrigerate for several hours to let settle and flavors meld.
Add Recipe to
|Amount Per Serving||%DV|
|Serving Size 146g|
|Recipe makes 12 servings|
|Calories from Fat 243||67%|
|Total Fat 28.6g||36%|
|Saturated Fat 18.82g||75%|
|Trans Fat 0.0g|
|Total Carbs 33.9g||9%|
|Dietary Fiber 7.4g||25%|