Dark Chocolate & Orange Cake with Chia Seeds Recipe
A very tasty cake with 70% dark chocolate, fresh orange juice and chia seeds! If you are new to chia seeds, I highly recommend trying this recipe. The amount of seeds put in this cake is really small but it still gives the cake an interesting texture without changing its flavor.
- 80g Dark Chocolate (70%)
- 3 Medium Eggs
- 25g Cocoa Powder
- 20g Chia Seeds
- 250g Plain Flour
- 1 ½ Tea Spoon Baking Powder
- 3 Oranges
- 250g Caster Sugar
- 250ml Sunflower Oil
- 3 Table spoons Apricot Jam
- For Chocolate Ganache:
- 250g Dark Chocolate (70%)
- 280ml Double Cream
- Melt the chocolate in a bain marie and let it cool down.
- Juice 2 oranges (keep the 3rd one for decoration) and keep the juice for later.
- In a large bowl whisk the eggs with caster sugar and oil (use a mixer) until pale and fluffy. Pour in the cooled melted chocolate, a bit of orange juice and mix.
- Sift in plain flour mixed with baking powder and cocoa powder. Using a spatula or a wooden spoon, mix until the ingredients are combined. Add orange flavouring (optional), chia seeds and the rest of the orange juice. Mix.
- Bake at 180 ⁰C for 35 minutes or until an inserted skewer comes out clean.
- Prepare the chocolate ganache by bringing the double cream to the boil. Place the chocolate (broken into small pieces) in a heat-proof bowl and pour over the hot cream. Let it sit for about 2 minutes. Then mix vigorously until smooth. Let it sit for about an hour to get a nice thicker texture.
- Once the cake is completely cooled, cut of the uneven or cracked top (keep the cut offs for future baking projects – store in the freezer). Now cut the cake in half. Transfer the bottom part onto a serving plate or a cake stand. Cover with a very thin layer of apricot jam. Now spread a thin layer of ganache (about 0.5 cm thin) over the jam. Cover with the other half of your cake and ganache the whole cake. Place it in a fridge to set (overnight is best).
- Just before serving, decorate the cake with fresh orange slices.
- Best served 10-15 minutes after taking out from your fridge.
- Happy Baking with HappyFoods Tube!
Add Recipe to
|Amount Per Serving||%DV|
|Serving Size 110g|
|Recipe makes 12 servings|
|Calories from Fat 303||62%|
|Total Fat 34.19g||43%|
|Saturated Fat 10.48g||42%|
|Trans Fat 0.03g|
|Total Carbs 39.41g||11%|
|Dietary Fiber 3.3g||11%|