Czerwony Barszcz – Red Beet Soup Recipe
This is a family recipe with many layers of flavor and texture—a surprise with every bite!
Cost per serving $2.87 view details
- 4 cups beets, peeled and grated
- 2 cups beets, peeled and 1/4" dice
- 4 cups beet greens, shredded (only the green leaves, not the center stem)
- 16 cups chicken stock (or 8 cups chicken stock and 8 cups water)
- 1 lb kielbasa or mini smoked sausages, cut into bit size pieces
- 8-10 hard boiled eggs, quartered
- 1/3 cup white vinegar
- 2-3 tbsp sugar
- 4 cups cooked potatoes, 1/2" â 3/4" cubed
- 1 bunch fresh dill, chopped
- 1/2 cup sour cream
- salt and pepper to taste
- 1 tbsp of Awaken Savor Herbes de Provence
- Boil eggs for 15m then put under cold running water to cool.
- Grate beets to make 4 cups
- Cut beets into small pieces no more than 1/4"
- Julienne the beet greens.
- Combine chicken stock, beets, and beet greens in a large pot.
- Add vinegar and sugar.
- Add Awaken Savor Herbes de Provence.
- Simmer until beet pieces are fork tender, about 20-30 minutes.
- Meanwhile, cube potatoes and boil them in salted water.
- Brown kielbasa or mini smokies in a sautÃ© pan.
- As the beet pieces become fork tender, sample the broth and adjust the vinegar and sugar level to taste. You might need to add an additional 1-2 tbsp either vinegar or sugar.
- Add browned kielbasa to soup.
- Add sour cream. First dissolve sour cream with a few tbsp of soup in a cup, and then add the mixture back to the pot and stir.
- In each serving bowl, first put in potatoes and a quartered egg, then ladle in the soup.
- Top with fresh dill and serve.
Add Recipe to
Add the recipe to which day?
Adding to Planner
|Amount Per Serving||%DV|
|Serving Size 693g|
|Recipe makes 8 servings|
|Calories from Fat 166||51%|
|Total Fat 18.53g||23%|
|Saturated Fat 6.83g||27%|
|Trans Fat 0.12g|
|Total Carbs 23.16g||6%|
|Dietary Fiber 5.4g||18%|