Curried Chow Mein Noodle, Pea, Shrimp & Cashew Salad Recipe
This is a quick and easy dish to make. It is adapted from a recipe that appeared in Bon Appetit Magazine's "Too Busy To Cook" section in 1981. They published two hardbound books with recipes from "Too Busy To Cook." One in 1981 and the second volume in 1988. I added water chesnuts; increased the amount cashews and mayonnaise, doubled the curry powder and used jumbo shrimp rather than bay shrimp. It makes a nice side dish for a picnic/BBQ or an easy dish to take to a pot luck. If you're not a fan of shrimp; crab or cooked chicken breast would work as well. If you really want to bump it up lobster would be over the top.
- 16 oz frozen peas; thawed and rinsed. I used petite.
- 8 oz jumbo shrimp; cooked, peeled and cut into thirds.
- 1 cup celery, chopped.
- 5 oz water chestnuts, sliced and drained.
- 1 cup mayonnaise
- 1 Tb lemon juice
- 1 tsp curry powder. I used mild.
- Garlic powder to taste.
- 8 oz unsalted cashews
- 5 oz canned chow mein noodles. I used La Choy.
- Lettuce leaves (garnish)
- Mix all ingredients except cashews and noodles in a large bowl. Taste for seasoning and adjust if necessary. Cover and refrigerate for at least an hour to chill.
- Mix in cashews and noodles just before serving so they stay crunchy.
- Serve on lettuce leaves to garnish.
Add Recipe to
|Amount Per Serving||%DV|
|Serving Size 252g|
|Recipe makes 6 servings|
|Calories from Fat 492||65%|
|Total Fat 57.03g||71%|
|Saturated Fat 9.01g||36%|
|Trans Fat 0.0g|
|Total Carbs 47.31g||13%|
|Dietary Fiber 5.8g||19%|