Creole Smothered Cube Steak Recipe
Here's a stepped up version of Swiss Steak. Creole Smothered Steak can use either cube steaks; a tenderized round steak or other beef steaks such as chuck or top round steak which is cheaper, but also leaner cuts of beef and definitely needing tenderizing.
Since this recipe uses cube steak, it is great for a quick weeknight meal. If you use chuck or top round, use a crock-pot and cook slowly all day with the ingredients listed. Serve both versions of this entree with rice to catch the flavorful sauce and add a fresh fruit salad to round this meal out.
- 1 Large Onion, Chopped
- 1/4 Cup Green Bell Pepper, Chopped
- 1/4 Cup Celery, Chopped
- 4 Tbsp. Canola Oil, Divided
- 3 Cloves Garlic, Minced
- 1 Tbsp. All Purpose Flour
- 1/2 Tsp. Salt
- 1/2 Tsp. Dried Thyme
- 1/2 Tsp. Ground Cayenne Pepper
- 1/2 Tsp. Ground Black Pepper
- 29 Oz. Can Fire-Roasted Diced Tomatoes, Undrained
- 1/4 Tsp. Hot Pepper Sauce
- 1 Tbsp. Lemon Juice
- 1 Lb. Beef Cube Steaks (4 Oz. Each)
- In a large skillet, sauté the onion, green pepper and celery in 2 tablespoons oil until crisp-tender. Add garlic; cook 1 minute longer. Stir in the flour, salt, thyme, cayenne and pepper.
- Add tomatoes and pepper sauce; bring to a boil. Reduce heat; simmer, uncovered, for 20 - 25 minutes or until thickened, stirring occasionally. Remove from the heat; stir in lemon juice and keep warm. Sprinkle steaks with salt and pepper to taste.
- In another large skillet, cook steaks in remaining oil over medium heat for 3 - 4 minutes on each side or until no longer pink. Serve with sauce.
Add Recipe to
|Amount Per Serving||%DV|
|Serving Size 170g|
|Recipe makes 4 servings|
|Calories from Fat 279||72%|
|Total Fat 31.26g||39%|
|Saturated Fat 7.97g||32%|
|Trans Fat 0.06g|
|Total Carbs 6.52g||2%|
|Dietary Fiber 1.1g||4%|