Creole Rice Pudding Recipe
NEVER throw day-old rice away! Next time you have that extra-large Chinese take out and you have some of that white rice left over, you have the base of a fabulous rice pudding, New Orleans-style! This is NOT the junk you have to choose from for dessert ("jello, rice pudding, sherbet") after the regrettable meal at the greasy spoon - and what are you eating there for, anyway?!?
It is a simple, delicious dish, takes no time to put together and will really give you a whole new respect for rice pudding. In a word: luscious...
This is how Chef Austin made it - and it is excellent at any time of day. We'll do a parallel recipes here - with left-over rice & from scratch.
- 3 C day-old rice (or one cup of uncooked rice - OK, so you finished the Chinese... just be sure the fresh rice is COLD... (the 'from scratch' is in the (parentheses) following)
- 1 C whipping cream ( or 3 C milk + 1 C whipping cream)
- 1 stick sweet butter
- 3/4 C granulated sugar
- 1 tsp pure vanilla extract
- 1/2 C black raisins
- 3 whole eggs, beaten
- 6 egg yolks, beaten
- 1/2 tsp cinnamon
- 1/2 tsp grated nutmeg
- Set the oven to 350 degrees.
- Butter a 2 qt casserole dish
- Bring the day-old rice and the cream to a boil (or bring the uncooked rice, milk and cream to a boil)
- Cook until the cream is absorbed (or cover and cook until most of the milk and cream is absorbed and the rice is tender)
- Add all the other ingredients except the egg yolks and whole eggs
- Temper the eggs by stirring some of the rice mixture into the eggs and stir - you do not want to cook the eggs - then pour the egg mixture into the rice and stir to incorporate all ingredients
- Pour the mixture into the casserole and bake for 30 minutes. You want to give it a stir to distribute and suspend the raisins throughout the pudding as they will have settled to the bottom of the cassarole. You want it browned on top, but check now to see if you need to lay a sheet of foil on top so it doesn't get too brown. You need to have the pudding dry in the middle - add 15 minutes
- You can serve it cold from the refigerator, or warmed from the oven
Add Recipe to
|Amount Per Serving||%DV|
|Serving Size 116g|
|Recipe makes 10 servings|
|Calories from Fat 137||32%|
|Total Fat 15.55g||19%|
|Saturated Fat 9.29g||37%|
|Trans Fat 0.0g|
|Total Carbs 66.5g||18%|
|Dietary Fiber 1.1g||4%|