Cream of Vegetable Soup Recipe
A good base comfort soup for the winter season. Cauliflower, potatoes, carrots, onions and garlic predominate, but you can rifle through the veggie bin and sub out others like spinach, zucchini, parsnips, etc. and you can increase or decrease the ratios of vegetables to your preference. About 9 cups of raw vegetables are needed. When the chopping is done, the soup goes together quickly and cooks in less than 30 minutes. If you prefer a dairy-free soup, replace milk with vegetable or chicken broth.
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 4 large garlic cloves, minced
- 2 large potatoes, peeled and cubed (about 3 cups)
- 2 large carrots, peeled and diced (about 1 cup)
- 2 each 14.5 oz cans low-sodium chicken broth
- 1 head cauliflower, trimmed and chopped (1 pound or 4.5 cups)
- 1 cup milk
- 1 teaspoon salt, or to taste
- 1/2 teaspoon black pepper
- 1 to 3 teaspoons (or to taste) of Better Than Bouillon Vegetable Base
- Optional garnishes: grated cheese, chopped fresh parsley or cilantro
- Melt butter in 5-qt. pot over medium heat. Stir in onion and garlic; cook until onion is translucent,about 5 minutes.
- Stir in potatoes and carrots; cook 5 minutes more.
- Pour in broth and bring to boil. Stir in cauliflower, reduce heat and simmer covered, stirring occasionally until vegetables are tender, about 10 minutes.
- Remove from heat and allow to stand about 10 minutes.
- Puree in batches in food processor or blender, or in the pot using an immersion blender. (Or process just half of the soup if you want some vegetable textures in it.)
- Return pan to heat and stir in milk, salt, pepper and vegetable base; heat through but do not allow to boil.
- Serve in bowls with optional garnishes of grated cheese and/or chopped parsley or cilantro.
- Yield about 9 cups (6 servings of 1.5 cups each)
Add Recipe to
|Amount Per Serving||%DV|
|Serving Size 330g|
|Recipe makes 6 servings|
|Calories from Fat 55||32%|
|Total Fat 6.2g||8%|
|Saturated Fat 3.5g||14%|
|Trans Fat 0.0g|
|Total Carbs 24.58g||7%|
|Dietary Fiber 3.1g||10%|