Clever Stuffed CABBAGE roll CUPS-How-to-101 Recipe
Stuffing cabbage leaves never excited me...until messy rolls flipped into lovely parcels. These are directions only on how to stuff cabbage filled cups.
For a dedicated post...refer to:
- . > PREPARATION...How to Method for 12 cabbage filled cups.
- . You will need: a 12 cup muffin pan, 2 baking cookie sheets and parchment paper
- . 1 big head of SAVOY cabbage
- . 3 cups (750ml) of your chosen FILLING
- . 2 cups (500ml) of your chosen SAUCE
- . Prepare the head of cabbage for blanching: pull away the larger decorative leaves. Cut the bottom stem part where the leaves were extracted so that it'll be easier to pull the remaining leaves after being boiled.
- . Pour the water half way in a large pot and bring to a boil. Add the full head of cabbage (stem down) without its decorative leaves. Cover the pot and turn down the heat to simmer for about 12-14 minutes. Drain the hot water and refill the pot with cold running water to cool down the cabbage. Drain it again by turning the cabbage upside down and grabbing the core with the cup of your hand.
- . Prepare a plate to place the leaves which you will carefully peel off the stem. Remember to keep cutting the bottom core when the leaves don’t come off easily. Note: Most leaves will come off in full...however, if they tear a little, it won’t matter much to the finished product.
- . With a kitchen scissor cut the thick ‘rib’ stem from the center of each leaf. Carefully place each leaf into the cups without pressing in too much. Starting from the tray’s center outwards is easier. Overlap pieces of cabbage to avoid gaps in lining.
- . Fill each cup level with your chosen filling by using about an ice-scream scoop full...about 1/4 cup/60ml will be sufficient. Once the cups are filled, press down the overlapping leaf flaps to cover the filling properly.
- . Place muffin tray on a first baking sheet. Cover the cabbage tray completely with a sheet of parchment paper. Place a second baking sheet over top by pressing down on the parchment.
- . BAKE for 30 minutes in a pre-heated 400F/200C /Gas6 oven by placing the tray on the middle rack.
- . > ASSEMBLY: Right before the cabbage cups are ready to come out of the oven...start heating your chosen sauce (about 2 cups / 500ml) that will be spooned over your stuffed cabbage roll cups and ready to serve. Take the tray out of oven and leave it rest for 10 minutes. After which you’ll get ready to un-mould the cups. Hold both baking sheets that have sandwiched the muffin tray and flip over. Remove muffin tray in order to easily release the cabbage rolls. Serve immediately with warm sauce.
- . Flavourful wishes from Claudia's kitchen...FOODESSA.com