Classic Crab Cakes With A Roasted Corn And Tomato Salad Recipe
- 2 Tbsp. unsalted butter
- 1 c. finely-minced yellow onions
- 1/2 c. finely-minced celery
- 1/4 c. finely-minced seeded red bell pepper
- 1/4 c. finely-minced seeded yellow bell pepper Salt to taste Cayenne to taste
- 1 Tbsp. minced garlic
- 1 lb lump crabmeat picked over for shells and cartilage
- 1/4 c. minced green onions, green parts only
- 1/4 c. grated Parmigiano-Reggiano cheese
- 2 Tbsp. finely-minced fresh parsley leaves
- 1 Tbsp. Creole mustard
- 1/2 c. mayonnaise
- 1 1/2 c. dry fine bread crumbs
- 1 c. vegetable oil
- 1/4 c. bleached all-purpose flour
- 3 tsp Creole seasoning, (Essence) see * Note
- 1 lrg egg
- 1 Tbsp. water
- 2 lrg Idaho potatoes peeled, and cut into shoestrings
- 1 x recipe Fresh Horseradish Sauce (see recipe)
- 1 x recipe Roasted Corn And Tomato Salad (see recipe)
- Heat the butter in a small saute/fry pan over medium heat. Add in the onions, celery and bell peppers. Season with salt and cayenne. Cook, stirring, till the vegetables are soft and slightly golden brown, about 5 min. Add in the garlic and cook, stirring, for 2 min. Cold for 5 min.
- In a large mixing bowl, combine the crabmeat, green onions, cheese, parsley, mustard, mayonnaise, the cooled vegetables and 3/4 c. of the bread crumbs. Mix well. Divide the mix into 10 equal portions and form them into 1-inch-thick cakes (patties).
- In a shallow bowl, combine the flour with 1 tsp. of the Essence. In another bowl, whisk the egg with the water. In a third bowl, combine the remaining 3/4 c. bread crumbs and 1 tsp. of the Creole seasoning.
- Heat the remaining 1 c. oil to 360 degrees in a large saute/fry pan over medium-high heat. Dredge the cakes first in the seasoned flour, tapping off any excess, then in the egg wash, letting the excess drip off. Dredge the cakes in the seasoned bread crumbs, coating them proportionately. Gently lay the cakes, 3 to 4 at a time, in the oil and fry till lightly golden brown, about 4 min on each side.
- Preheat the fryer. Fry the potatoes in batches till golden, about 3 to 4 min, stirring occasionally for overall browning.
- Drain the cakes on paper towels. Season the cakes with the remaining tsp. Creole seasoning. Drain the potatoes on paper towels. Season with salt. Spoon the horseradish sauce in the center of each plate. Lay the crab cakes in the center of the sauce. Spoon the corn and tomato salad over each cake. Pile the potatoes on top of the salad. Garnish with parsley.
- This recipe yields 10 cakes.
- Yield: 10 crab cakes
Add Recipe to
Add the recipe to which day?
Adding to Planner