Chinese Vegetable Soup Recipe
I love to throw this recipe together when I am in the mood for a healthy and spicy meal. Just about every time I go to an Asian grocery store I end up picking up the ingredients for this tasty soup. This is not from any book...just pieced together from the great bowls of soup I've had in hole-in-the-wall chinese restaurants in the past (usually not mentioned on the english menu).
- 5-6 lbs Chinese Vegetables (I have used Baby Bok Choy, Chinese Mustard Greens (gai choi), and Chinese or Vietnamese Spinach)
- 2 packages Tofu
- 12 cups water
- 1 Tbsp Hon Dashi (japanese fish stock) or other fish stock (use chicken broth as a substitute)
- 1 Tbsp Fish Sauce
- 1 Tbsp Soy Sauce
- 4 Tbsp Miso
- 1 Tbsp chopped garlic
- 1 Tsp minced ginger
- 2 Tbsp torn fresh Basil leaves
- 2 Tbsp Chili Sauce or to taste (I've used Thai Tom Yum soup base as well as regular red asian chili sauces)
- Add water, fish or chicken stock, fish sauce, soy sauce, miso, garlic and ginger to a large pot and bring to boil over high heat. If you are not feeding kids, add the Tom Yum or Chili Sauce to the pot at this time. Add gradually and taste to ensure you get the proper level of spiciness for your liking. You'll need to stir the pot a bit to help the Miso dissolve into the broth.
- Chop the Baby Bok Choy into thirds and add to pot. Let boil for 1-2 minutes.
- While Bok Choy is boiling chop remaining vegetables into similar sized pieces and add to pot.
- Chop tofu into 1 inch squares and add to pot.
- Tear basil leaves and add to pot.
- Let boil for an additional 2-3 minutes, turn off, and serve.
- If serving for kids, reserve the chili sauce for the end and add individually to the adults bowls. I sometimes add chicken for the kids since they don't like Tofu as much as I do. It tastes great with Chicken too.
Add Recipe to
|Amount Per Serving||%DV|
|Serving Size 708g|
|Recipe makes 8 servings|
|Calories from Fat 24||10%|
|Total Fat 2.75g||3%|
|Saturated Fat 0.5g||2%|
|Trans Fat 0.0g|
|Total Carbs 45.38g||12%|
|Dietary Fiber 13.0g||43%|