Chile Rellenos Recipe
Vegetarian style mexican dish of poblanos peppers, beans, cheese. Simply delicious! This is a great recipe for using up those delicious garden poblanos. Don't have poblanos? It's ok, use green peppers works great this way as well! There will be no roasting the peppers ahead of time and no no need to peel the skins! Try it! You will love it!
- 6 large poblano chiles or green bell peppers
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 1/2 medium onion, finely chopped
- 1/2 small red onion, finely chopped
- 2 cloves garlic, finely chopped
- 2 small jalapenos, seeded and chopped
- 1/2 red bell pepper, finely chopped
- 1/2 cup chopped fresh cilantro
- 1 tsp ground cumin
- 1 tsp chili powder
- 1 15 ounce can vegetarian black beans, drained
- 1 15 ounce can of pinto beans or white beans, drained
- 1-3 tsp red pepper hot sauce, to taste
- 12 ounce Queso Blanco, Pepper Jack or Monterey Jack cheese, coarsely grated
- 1 tsp salt, more to taste
- freshly ground black pepper, to taste
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Grease a 13x9x2 casserole dish. Set aside.
- Cut poblano chiles in half lengthwise to create a boat for filling and scrape out seeds.
- Heat 2 tablespoons canola oil in a nonstick skillet. Add onions, garlic, jalapenos, red bell pepper, cilantro, spices and salt. Saute over medium heat until softened and golden brown for about 4-5 minutes.
- Remove pan from heat and stir in beans, hot sauce and 1/2 of the cheese. Add salt and pepper to taste. Spoon the mixture into the hollowed chiles and sprinkle with remaining cheese.
- Arrange the chilies on the casserole dish. Cook until chilies are tender and cheese is browned and bubbling, about 25 minutes.
- Check often, then remove from oven and serve at once. Goes well with a side of salsa, guacamole and sour cream.
Add Recipe to
|Amount Per Serving||%DV|
|Serving Size 190g|
|Recipe makes 12 servings|
|Calories from Fat 87||45%|
|Total Fat 9.79g||12%|
|Saturated Fat 3.31g||13%|
|Trans Fat 0.0g|
|Total Carbs 14.19g||4%|
|Dietary Fiber 5.0g||17%|