Chicken Noodle Soup Recipe
Comfort food at its best! Hearty, flavorful and chock full of chicken - what more need a soup offer? This is a perfect amount for a small family with leftovers, but adjust the recipe to your needs.
Cost per serving $1.47 view details
- 1 1/4 pounds chicken thighs, bone-in (about 3)
- 1/4 teaspoon each, salt and pepper
- 1 tablespoon cooking oil
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 6 cups chicken broth (or more as needed for desired consistency)
- 2 celery ribs, chopped
- 2 large carrots, chopped
- 1 large bay leaf
- 1/4 teaspoon dried thyme
- 4 ounces egg noodles
- 1/3 cup frozen peas (or 1/2 cup raw string beans, sugar snap peas, etc., sliced in ½" pieces)
- 2 teaspoons lemon juice
- Additional salt & pepper to taste
- Pat chicken dry with paper towels; sprinkle skin side with the salt and pepper.
- In a 3 1/2 quart stock pot heat oil over medium-high heat. Add chicken skin-side down and cook until dark golden brown, about 3 or 4 minutes.
- Remove chicken from pan; remove and discard skin. Pour off drippings from pan, reserving 1 tablespoon.
- Add onions to drippings; cook and stir over medium-high heat until tender, about 4 minutes. Add garlic and cook 1 minute more.
- Add 6 cups broth, stirring to loosen brown bits from pan. Bring to a boil. Return chicken to pan and add celery, carrots, bay leaf and thyme. Reduce heat, cover and simmer until chicken is tender, about 25 minutes. Transfer chicken to a plate to cool.
- Add noodles to pot and simmer until tender, covered, about 10 minutes.
- (NOTE: If using raw string beans or sugar snap peas, add them when noodles are added; if using frozen peas, wait to add them toward the end of noodle cooking time.)
- Meanwhile when chicken is cool enough to handle, remove meat and discard bones. Shred or chop meat into bite size pieces and return meat to stockpot; heat through.
- Add lemon juice. Remove bay leaf. Taste and adjust seasoning with additional salt and pepper as desired; add 1 to 2 cups additional broth as preferred for soup consistency.
- Yield: 2 quarts; about 5-6 servings.
Add Recipe to
Add the recipe to which day?
Adding to Planner
|Amount Per Serving||%DV|
|Serving Size 393g|
|Recipe makes 6 servings|
|Calories from Fat 133||45%|
|Total Fat 14.91g||19%|
|Saturated Fat 3.78g||15%|
|Trans Fat 0.23g|
|Total Carbs 20.39g||5%|
|Dietary Fiber 3.2g||11%|