Chewy Tabbouleh Recipe
I love tabbouleh. This recipe is a slight departure from tradition, using wheat berries versus the usual cracked wheat. The wheat berries add more body and crunch. I also added quinoa to round it out to a full dinner salad versus a side salad..
Cost per serving $1.62 view details
- 1 1/2 cups of cooked wheat berries
- 1 cup of cooked quinoa
- 1/4 cup of sliced green onions
- 3/4 cup of finely chopped, seedless cucumber
- 3/4 cup of chopped tomato
- 1/2 cup of fresh parsley, finely chopped
- 1 tablespoon of fresh mint, finely chopped
- Juice from 1 fresh lemon (about 3 tablespoons)
- 3 tablespoons of extra virgin olive oil
- 1/4 teaspoon of sea salt
- Place the wheat berries in a medium saucepan, cover
- completely with water and bring to a boil. Reduce
- heat to simmer and cook for about 30 minutes.
- In another smaller saucepan place the quinoa and
- bring to a boil. Reduce to a simmer and cook for
- about 15 minutes or until water is absorbed.
- When the wheat berries are cooked, rinse with cold
- water. Do not drain completely or the wheat berries
- will dry out quickly.
- After the quinoa is cooked and the water absorbed,
- allow both the wheat berries and quinoa to cool.
- In a large bowl combine the tomatoes, cucumber, parsley,
- green onions and mint. Add in the wheat berries and quinoa
- and thoroughly mix.
- In a small jar with a lid, combine lemon oil, olive oil and salt.
- Place the lid on tightly and shake the jar vigorously in order
- to mix the dressing well.
- Pour the dressing over the tabbouleh and toss to mix well.
- Serve immediately or chill in refrigerator for later.
- Serve the tabbouleh with toasted pita wedges and hummus
- and some kalamata olives. A fresh fruit side of orange
- wedges or apricot slices completes the meal.
Add Recipe to
Add the recipe to which day?
Adding to Planner
|Amount Per Serving||%DV|
|Serving Size 143g|
|Recipe makes 6 servings|
|Calories from Fat 78||38%|
|Total Fat 8.79g||11%|
|Saturated Fat 1.16g||5%|
|Trans Fat 0.0g|
|Total Carbs 27.87g||7%|
|Dietary Fiber 4.5g||15%|