Cherry Vino Cotto (Vincotto) Pie Recipe
Cost per serving $0.18 view details
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 2/3 cup Crisco vegetable shortening
- 3/4 cup ice water
- 1/4 cup Vino Cotto di Montillo (vincotto)
- 1-1/2 teaspoon corn starch
- 1 can Cherry Pie Filling by Comstock
- Preheat oven to 400°F (204°C).
- In a large bowl, add flour, salt and vegetable shortening.
- Using a fork, press into the ingredients using a rapid, circular motion to incorporate the vegetable shortening while mixing together. The mixture should appear almost granular when done.
- Add 1/2 cup of ice water to the bowl and mix to form a dough. If needed add 1 tablespoon of ice water and mix. Repeat this step until the dough's texture is pliable. The dough should be slightly moist, not dry.
- Split the dough in half. Roll into two dough balls. Set one dough ball aside.
- On a clean, flat surface, sprinkle a layer of flour. Roll the first dough ball to 1/8-inch thickness. Place it inside a 9-inch, oven-proof pie dish.
- With a sharp knife, remove excess dough to approximately 1/4-inch from the inside ridge of the pie dish.
- With a fork, polk holes into the bottom and sides of the dough.
- Bake for 10 minutes or until the crust becomes golden brown. Remove from heat. Set aside.
- In a small bowl, add vino cotto and corn starch. Whisk to dissolve the corn starch.
- Using a spatula, fold vino cotto mixture into the cherry pie filling.
- Reapply a light layer of flour onto the clean, flat surface. Roll the second dough ball to 1/8-inch thickness.
- Pour the vino cotto mixture into the baked crust. Position cherries evenly throughout the pie. If pockets of pie filling exist without cherries present, use a spoon to remove some excess pie filling.
- Cover the cherry vino cotto filling with the top layer of rolled dough.
- Let up to 1/2-inch extra rolled dough hang over the pie dish. Cut away excess dough. Tuck remaining dough under the previously baked bottom crust.
- With a fork, poke holes all over the top layer of pie dough.
- To seal the dough edges, press fork tines into the crust all the way around the pie.
- Bake for 15 minutes or until the crust becomes deep golden brown. Remove from heat.
- Serve warm or cold. Garnish with whipped cream or ice cream and a drizzle of authentic vino cotto.
Add Recipe to
Add the recipe to which day?
Adding to Planner
|Amount Per Serving||%DV|
|Serving Size 57g|
|Recipe makes 10 servings|
|Calories from Fat 123||58%|
|Total Fat 13.91g||17%|
|Saturated Fat 3.22g||13%|
|Trans Fat 4.57g|
|Total Carbs 19.44g||5%|
|Dietary Fiber 0.7g||2%|