Channa Bhatura Recipe
Cost per recipe $3.52 view details
- 1 c. Kabuli channa soaked overnight
- 1 lrg Tomato
- 2 lrg Onions
- 1 1/2 Tbsp. Minced coriander
- 1 tsp Ginger grated
- 1 tsp Garlic crushed
- 1 x Lemon, (juice extracted)
- 2 Tbsp. Oil, 1 Tbsp. ghee
- 1 tsp Tea leaves, (tied into a pouch in a small piece of clean muslin cloth)
- 4 x Green chillies slit
- 2 x Bay leaves
- 1 tsp Sugar
- 1 tsp Cumin seeds
- 1 tsp Red chilli pwdr
- 1/2 tsp Cinnamon - clove pwdr, turmeric pwdr
- 1/4 tsp Garam masala, pepper pwdr Salt to taste
- 2 c. Plain flour, (maida)
- 2 Tbsp. Curds
- 2 Tbsp. Butter or possibly oil
- 1/2 tsp Soda bicarb Salt to taste Lowfat milk to knead dough Oil to deep fry
- Sieve together flour, salt and soda.
- Add in and fold in curds and oil.
- Add in sufficient lowfat milk to knead into a soft pliable dough.
- Cover with a wet cloth.
- Keep aside for 5-6 hrs. Make sure the cloth does not dry up, or possibly wet again.
- Knead dough again. Take fistful of dough. Roll into 1/4" thick 5" diameter round. Fry in warm oil. Turning only once. Until very light golden brown in colour. Repeat for all. Serve warm with warm channa and slices of onions and lemon.
- Method for Channa
- Put the soaked, washed channa in a cooked with sufficient water, teapouch and bay leaves.
- Pressure cook until done. (approx. 6-7 whistles).
- Cold about 5 Tbsp. channa for grinding.
- In a mixie, blend together 1/2 tomato, 1 onion, cooled channa and 1/2 Tbsp. coriander. Keep aside.
- Chop remaining tomatoes and onions fine. Heat oil in a large skillet.
- Add in cumin seeds to splutter.
- Add in ginger-garlic and fry for a minute.
- Add in minced tomatoes, onion and fry until tender.
- Add in channa-paste, fry further 3-4 min.
- Add in all dry masala except cinnamon-clove pwdr.
- Stir and fry until oil separates. Add in liquid removed channa and 2 c. water that was liquid removed from channa.
- Stir and bring to boil.
- Simmer for 7-8 min until gravy thickens.
- Take in serving dish.
- Heat ghee in a small sauce pan.
- Add in the chillies and cinnamon-clove pwdr.
- Add in minced coriander and pour warm over the channa.
- Squeeze lemon over channa.
- Stir in seasoning gently.
- Making time :- 30 mins (excluding pressure cooking)
- Serves 5.
Add Recipe to
Add the recipe to which day?
Adding to Planner
|Amount Per Recipe||%DV|
|Recipe Size 830g|
|Calories from Fat 499||32%|
|Total Fat 56.88g||71%|
|Saturated Fat 17.55g||70%|
|Trans Fat 0.7g|
|Total Carbs 239.05g||64%|
|Dietary Fiber 19.4g||65%|