Celery Root Bisque With Peppered Croutons Recipe
Cost per serving $0.71 view details
- 6 Tbsp. Butter, unsalted
- 1 lrg Onion, minced
- 3 x Celery stalk, with leaves, sliced
- 2 1/4 lb Celery root, peeled, coarsely minced
- 2 med Russet potatoes, peeled, coarsely minced
- 2 lrg Parsnip, peeled, coarsely minced
- 5 c. Chicken stock or possibly canned broth
- 1 x Bay leaf
- 4 x Thyme sprigs, fresh, or possibly
- 1 tsp Thyme, dry, crumbled
- 1/2 tsp Pepper, white
- 1/4 tsp Coriander seeds
- 2 c. Spinach leaves
- 1/2 c. Whipping cream Peppered croutons-see recipe
- Heat butter in heavy large non-aluminum pot over medium heat. Add in onion and celery and saute/fry till slightly softened, about 5 min. Add in celery roots, potatoes and parsnips and saute/fry 5 min. Add in 3 c. stock, bay leaf, thyme, white pepper and coriander. Bring to boil. Reduce heat, cover partially and simmer till vegetables are very soft, about 25 min.
- Throw away bay leaf and thyme sprigs. Add in spinach to soup and cook till just wilted, stirring occasionally, about 2 min.
- Place soup in batches in processor. Return soup to pot. Add in cream and remaining 2 c. stock and simmer 15 min, stirring occasionally. Season with salt and white pepper. (Can be prepared 1 day ahead. Cover and chill. Bring to simmer before continuing.)
- Ladle soup into bowls. Sprinkle with croutons and serve.
- "The Irish excel with root vegetables, and every home garden seems to boast lush rows of celeriac, parsnips, turnips, leeks, rutabagas, and potatoes.
- This savory bisque is a subtle and suave use of the humble and often ignored celery root. Along with glasses of sherry, it makes a great beginning to an elegant celebration of St. Patrick. Spinach leaves add in pretty green color to the bisque."
Add Recipe to
Add the recipe to which day?
Adding to Planner
|Amount Per Serving||%DV|
|Serving Size 248g|
|Recipe makes 8 servings|
|Calories from Fat 79||56%|
|Total Fat 8.95g||11%|
|Saturated Fat 5.56g||22%|
|Trans Fat 0.0g|
|Total Carbs 12.96g||3%|
|Dietary Fiber 2.1g||7%|