Camarones a la plancha - Shrimp on the griddle Recipe
This is a delicious mexican shrimp dish that you'll find served in the lovely seaside restaurants along both of Mexico's coast. The wonderful smells of the shrimp, garlic, and onion will fill your house and make everyone's mouths water. I cooked these tonight for Cinco de Mayo and both we and our kids absolutely loved them. I left the jalapeno/serrano out of the version I served to our youngest 3 kids, then served them with homemade refried beans (see recipe linked below) and warm tortillas. Mmmmm!
- For The Salsa
- 2 1/2 cups finely diced tomatoes (about 3 large tomatoes or 6-7 roma tomatoes)
- 1-2 diced jalapeno peppers or 3-4 diced serrano peppers
- 6 garlic cloves peeled and finely chopped
- 1 medium onion, finely diced
- 2 1/2 tsp salt
- 2 lbs shrimp (medium or large)
- 3 Tbsp lime juice
- 1 tsp freshly ground black pepper
- 1-2 avocados, chopped
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 1/3 cup chopped cilantro
- In a medium bowl, mix together the diced tomatoes chiles, garlic and onion along with 1 1/2 tsp salt.
- Peel the shrimp leaving the tail and devein (optional). Put the shrimp into a medium bowl and add 2 tbsp lime juice, 1 tsp salt and 1 tsp black pepper. Marinate from 30 minutes to 1 hour.
- Coat a large, heavy skillet with olive oil and heat over medium high heat. When the pan is hot, add the shrimp in one layer (you will probably need to do two batches or work two pans at once). Let the marinade drip back into the bowl as you move the shrimp to the pan and reserve the marinade. Cook on one side for 2 to 3 minutes (2 for medium shrimp, 3 for large), then turn. When you turn, spread the salsa evenly over the shrimp and pour the remaining marinade in. Let cook for another 1 1/2 to 2 minutes, then remove the shirmp with tongs, leaving the marinade in the pan. Add the chopped avocados and fold over with a firm spatula 3-4 times (about 1 minute) heating the avocado and scraping up any bits from the pan then remove.
- Plate the shrimp, putting the salsa on top, and sprinkling the cilantro on top of that (or serve in a bowl on the side).
- This dish is wonderful served with warm, flour tortillas.
Add Recipe to
|Amount Per Serving||%DV|
|Serving Size 279g|
|Recipe makes 6 servings|
|Calories from Fat 110||39%|
|Total Fat 12.28g||15%|
|Saturated Fat 1.88g||8%|
|Trans Fat 0.0g|
|Total Carbs 9.98g||3%|
|Dietary Fiber 3.5g||12%|