Butternut Squash and Apple Soup (with Pressure Cooker Option) Recipe
Inspired by a recipe from New Paradigm Cooking (Sandbach, Terranova and Ware), I chose to forego the cookbook’s recommended 30 minutes simmering time in a stockpot, for a pressure cooker rendition which cut the cooking time to well under 10 minutes total. Now that’s dinner-in-a-flash! Proportions of other ingredients were tweaked in addition. Both cooking methods are mentioned below so you can choose what will work best for you. Grated Granny Smith apples are the surprise and tasty crunch in each spoonful of this nourishing soup. Yield is 7 cups soup, sufficient for 7 or 8 first course soup servings, or 4 to 5 main course soup servings. Substitute pumpkin for butternut squash. Easily converts to vegetarian.
- 6 cups chicken stock (or water)
- 6 cups chopped peeled butternut squash (about 2 pounds)
- 2 tablespoons minced onion
- 2 tablespoons minced celery
- 1 1/2 cups plain yogurt (I used Greek nonfat)
- 1 large Granny Smith apple, peeled, cored & grated (about 1 Â½ cups total)
- 1 teaspoon sugar
- 1/4 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1/4 teaspoon nutmeg
- Salt to taste (optional)
- Sour cream for garnish (optional)
- (PRESSURE COOKER DIRECTIONS AT END)
- Bring the chicken stock to a boil in stockpot. Add the squash, onion and celery.
- Simmer for 20-30 minutes until squash is tender. Drain, reserving the broth.
- Puree cooked squash in food processor. Add to reserved broth and bring both to a boil.
- Remove from heat. Stir in yogurt, apple, sugar, cinnamon, nutmeg and salt (optional.)
- Ladle into soup bowls and garnish with a dollop of sour cream (optional.)
- PRESSURE COOKER DIRECTIONS:
- Combine chicken stock, squash, onion and celery in a 4 Â½ -5 quart pressure saucepan.
- Cover and adjust lid. Cook at 15 pounds pressure for 5 minutes (start cooking time when control indicates pressure is reached. Cooking time can only be approximate because of variations in altitude, or vegetable age/quality, etc.)
- Reduce pressure instantly by running cold water on pressure pan lid in sink.
- When air is exhausted remove pressure valve and lid.
- Continue following soup directions as in Step 3 above beginning with âDrain, reserving the brothâ.
Add Recipe to
|Amount Per Serving||%DV|
|Serving Size 390g|
|Recipe makes 7 servings|
|Calories from Fat 20||18%|
|Total Fat 2.23g||3%|
|Saturated Fat 1.34g||5%|
|Trans Fat 0.0g|
|Total Carbs 19.97g||5%|
|Dietary Fiber 3.6g||12%|