Buttermilk Cornbread with Green Chilies and Cheese Recipe
It’s hard to stop at just one serving of this, so if you have a hungry crowd coming, double the recipe! I love to bake cornbread in a cast iron skillet to get that crispy crust, but a 9" square baking pan will make good cornbread too.
Cost per serving $0.32 view details
- 1 cup flour
- 1 cup cornmeal (I used Bob's Red Mill 100% Whole Grain Cornmeal for the extra crunch and fiber)
- 2 tablespoons sugar
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- Â½ teaspoon baking soda
- Â½ teaspoon salt
- 2 eggs
- 1 cup buttermilk
- 1/4 cup cooking oil
- 4 ounces canned diced green chillies, drained
- 1-2 tablespoons canned jalapenos drained and minced (optional)
- 1 cup shredded cheddar cheese or Monterey Jack cheese
- Set oven to 425 degrees F. Grease the bottom and Â½ inch up the sides of 9" square baking pan; set aside. (Note: When using a 9" or 10" cast iron pan, grease it and place in the oven the last few minutes of your cornbread preparation so itâll be piping hot when the batter goes in, make a nice crust on bottom and shorten baking time.)
- In medium mixing bowl stir together the flour, corn meal, sugar, baking powder, baking soda and salt. Make a well in the center of dry mixture; set aside.
- In another bowl beat the eggs. Add the buttermilk, oil, green chilies, optional jalapenos, and cheese, stirring well.
- Pour egg mixture all at once into dry mixture ; stir just until moistened.
- Spoon batter into prepared pan. Bake 20-25 minutes or til toothpick tests clean in center. (If you use a preheated cast iron skillet, baking time will be shortened to about 15 minutes.)
- Cool on wire rack. Cut square cornbread into 3 equal sections one direction, and then 4 equal sections the opposite direction to make 12 servings.
Add Recipe to
Add the recipe to which day?
Adding to Planner
|Amount Per Serving||%DV|
|Serving Size 76g|
|Recipe makes 12 servings|
|Calories from Fat 79||41%|
|Total Fat 8.93g||11%|
|Saturated Fat 2.71g||11%|
|Trans Fat 0.12g|
|Total Carbs 22.39g||6%|
|Dietary Fiber 0.9g||3%|