- 2 cups all purpose flour (+ additional for kneading)
- 1 tablespoon sugar
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/4 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 to 1/2 teaspoon dried red pepper flakes (or to taste)
- 1/8 teaspoon fresh ground black pepper
- 1/8 teaspoon paprika
- 1/2 cup cold butter
- 3/4 cup buttermilk or sour milk
Buttermilk and Butter Biscuits - with Attitude!
- Heat oven to 450 degrees F.
- In medium mixing bowl mix thoroughly together the flour, sugar, baking powder, baking soda, red pepper flakes, black pepper and paprika.
- Cut in butter using a pastry blender until mixture looks like fine crumbs.
- Stir in buttermilk until dough leaves the sides of bowl (dough will be soft and sticky).
- Place dough on lightly floured surface. Knead lightly 10 times. Pat or roll to 1 1/2 inch thickness. Cut with a floured 2 inch biscuit cutter. Place on ungreased baking sheet about 1 inch apart for crusty sides, or touching for soft sides.
- Bake 10-12 minutes or until golden brown. Remove from baking sheet immediately and serve.
Playing with a biscuit recipe one day I pondered…..what if I subbed butter for the shortening and added some kick-up seasonings? The result got great reviews from guests…. and hours later and at room temp, the “attitude” was delightfully more pronounced.....mm-m! Buttermilk makes them tender and light, while the butter…..oh the butter! A nice quick bread to serve with chili, stew, soup or chicken.