Brown Rice and Walnut Salad Recipe
Cost per serving $1.02 view details
- 3 cups wild rice
- 6 oranges
- 12 spring onions, finely sliced
- 1.5 cup walnut pieces, toasted
- 2 tbsp chopped fresh flat-leaf parsley
- 2/3 cup walnut or avocado oil (or any vegetable oil)
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 4 tbsp white wine vinegar
- 2 tbsp soy sauce
- 2 tsp honey
- Thoroughly rinse the wild rice under cold running water and soak it for 15 mins.Drain and then put in a saucepan and fill with water to cover rice by 2.5 cm. Bring to the boil and cook for about 15-18 mins or till it is done.
- Remove from the heat,fork it very gently cover and leave for 1 hour. Drain well, transfer to a bowl and leave it to cool.
- Peel the oranges, reserving the skin from one. Separate the flesh into segments and cut into small pieces. Cut the white pith off the reserved skin, cut the rind into julienne strips and reserve for garnish.
- Add the orange pieces to the cooled rice with the spring onion, walnut pieces and parsley and lightly toss.
- For the dressing, whisk walnut oil,olive oil,white vinegar,soy sauce and honey together in a bowl until combined. Pour over the rice mixture and toss gently until well distributed. Garnish with the julienned orange rind.
- If you want to serve this salad warm,just before mixing the salad,warm the rice just a little bit.
Add Recipe to
Add the recipe to which day?
Adding to Planner
|Amount Per Serving||%DV|
|Serving Size 75g|
|Recipe makes 12 servings|
|Calories from Fat 76||32%|
|Total Fat 8.91g||11%|
|Saturated Fat 0.96g||4%|
|Trans Fat 0.0g|
|Total Carbs 33.54g||9%|
|Dietary Fiber 3.5g||12%|