Brett & Bart's favorite spaghetti Recipe
This is an old Italian recipe that I've been cooking for 30 years, and my boys and husband all love it. I got this from my good friend and extraordinary cook Jeannie Puente. The trick for the old Italian flavor is that you cook it for 2 days in a crockpot. I don't leave it on at night for safety. Delicious!
- 1 pkg hot Italian sausage
- 1 pkg mild Italian sausage (I use Pappa Contella's sausage for both)
- Large can (28oz) whole Italian plum tomatoes (I juse Progresso)
- 2 small cans tomato paste
- 1 large jar of marinara sauce (I use Paul Newman's)
- Water (2 small tomato paste cans worth)
- 2 Tbsp dried parsley
- 1 Tbsp dried oregano
- 1 Tbsp dried basil
- 1 Tbsp dried rosemary
- 1 tsp salt
- 1 cup red wine
- 1/4 cup sugar
- 2 boxes spaghetti
- Put can of tomatoes in blender with juices. Blend for a few seconds and pour into a 5-7 qt slow cooker. Then add all ingredients except sausage and stir.
- Turn slow cooker to medium if you have it, low if no medium option, or 225 degrees.
- Cook for 2 days, stirring occasionally, and turning off at night.
- Take sausage out of casings, break into bite size pieces, and fry in a frying pan, about 15-20 minutes on medium. Drain on paper towels. Can be done in advance.
- About 30-60 minutes before serving, add sausage to sauce.
- Boil Spaghetti per package instructions, drain, add sauce, and serve with warm crusty Italian bread and Parmesan Cheese.
Add Recipe to
|Amount Per Serving||%DV|
|Serving Size 241g|
|Recipe makes 8 servings|
|Calories from Fat 85||44%|
|Total Fat 9.4g||12%|
|Saturated Fat 3.32g||13%|
|Trans Fat 0.0g|
|Total Carbs 17.21g||5%|
|Dietary Fiber 2.5g||8%|