Braised Short Ribs with Vegetables Recipe
I absolutely love the mouthwatering taste of short ribs. This preparation, which has a richly flavored gravy chock full of vegetables, is absolutely fantastic. It's also beautiful to serve (don't be discouraged by the picture)! A perfect dish for a dinner party. You're guests will rave about it.
- 2 tbs olive oil
- 6 lbs short ribs
- 1 tsp salt
- 3/4 tsp ground black pepper
- 1 large onion, finely chopped
- 1 medium carrot, finely chopped
- 1 celery rib, finely chopped
- 12 garlic cloves, peeled
- 1 tablespoon herbs de Provence
- 2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 2 cups hearty red wine, (Zin, Shiraz, Cab)
- 1 3/4 cups beef stock or low-sodium chicken broth
- 14.5 oz can diced tomatoes in juice, drained (preferably Italian style)
- 1 bay leaf
- 8 oz baby carrots
- 1/2 cup Mediterranean black olives (Nicoise), pitted
- 3 tablespoons chopped fresh parsley
- Preheat oven to 300 F with rack in center
- Heat oil in a large (6+ quart) Dutch oven or roasting pot (with lid and ideally non-stick) over medium high heat. Season the ribs with salt and pepper and add them to the pot without crowding. Turn occasionally until browned 8-10 minutes. Transfer to a platter.
- Pour out most of the fat leaving 1-2 tbs. Add the onion, chopped carrot (not baby), and celery to the pot and reduce to medium-low. Cover and cook, stirring occasionally, for five minutes. Add the garlic, herbs de Provence, and flour. Stir about 1 minute. Add the wine, stir, and bring to boil over high heat. Stir to bring browned meat off bottom of pan. Add broth, tomatoes, and bay leaf. Return short ribs with any juices to pot. Add cold water if needed to make sure liquid just reaches the top of the ribs and bring back to boil.
- Cover tightly, transfer to oven, and bake stirring occasionally, about 2 and 1/4 hours. Add baby carrots and cook for an additional 15 minutes.
- Transfer short ribs to a deep platter and cover with foil. Skim off fat and bring to boil over high heat, cooking until liquid is reduced to a slighly thin gravy consistency...about 10 minutes. Add the olives and cook for 3 more minutes. Salt and pepper to taste.
- Serve over mashed potatoes, spooning sauce and carrots over the meat.
Add Recipe to
|Amount Per Serving||%DV|
|Serving Size 602g|
|Recipe makes 6 servings|
|Calories from Fat 1126||78%|
|Total Fat 124.89g||156%|
|Saturated Fat 52.94g||212%|
|Trans Fat 0.0g|
|Total Carbs 14.1g||4%|
|Dietary Fiber 2.6g||9%|