Black Cherry Crumble Recipe
I originally saw Paula Deen make her version of this dish and I came up with a couple of really good modifications which folks have liked when I served it for dessert. I believe this is an improved recipe.
I made this with gluten free (and lactose intolerant) diners in mind, but you can feel free to subtitute regular flour where flour is called for.
The one ingredient that you may need to find is a very good cherry cordial. And you need to use caution when you execute this recipe!
- 6 C pitted fresh sweet black (Bing) cherries (you can use frozen cherries, thawed)
- 1 can of dark sweet black cherries, reserve the the juice
- 1/2 C cherry cordial (you may find this in a good liquor store. Cherry Kijafa is a fine option. I use a Polish brand, 'Wisniowka' (vish-NOV-kuh)
- 1/2 C sugar
- 1/4 C + 3 T tapioca flour (you can use all purpose, if you wish)
- 1 C quick-cooking oats
- 1/2 C dark brown sugar (packed)
- 1/4 C +2 T sweet butter, softened
- 1/2 C sliced almonds
- 1/2 tsp ground cinnamon
- On a front burner, heat the cherry cordial and reserved cherry juice to boiling in a small sauce pan over medium-high heat. BE VERY CAREFUL HERE. Using tongs, grasp a match and light it. Standing away from the sauce pan, slowly move the match toward the edge of the sauce pan to ignite the alcohol vapor rising from the pan. You will initially get a blue flame about 18" tall - SO BE CAUTIOUS. You want to burn off the alcohol and reduce the liquid to about 1/4 - 1/2 C. The flame will go out in a couple of minutes. Keep an eye on this process. The reduction will be ready when you see lots of small, foamy bubbles, and the liquid is obviously thickened. Remove from the heat and set aside
- In a dry saute pan, over medheat, toss and toast the almond slices until the are a toasty golden color. Set aside
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees
- Grease a 9x13x2 ovenproof dish with the 2 T of sweet butter
- Whisk together the white sugar and 3 T of tapioca flour (or all-purpose) in a large bowl and then add all the cherries and the syrup and cherry cordial reduction at this time.
- Pour the cherry mixture into the buttered dish
- Combine the brown sugar, 1/4 C flour and the oats in a separate bowl, then cut in the softened butter with a pastry cutter to make a crumble
- Add the almonds to the topping mixture and incorporate
- Distribute the topping over the cherries evenly
- Using a fine sieve, lightly sprinkle some ground cinnamon evenly over the topping
- Bake about 35 minutes, until the topping is brown and the almonds are lightly toasted
- Let the dish rest for at least 15 minute, but it is excellent when cooled completely.
- Serve with a scoop of good vanilla ice cream (or Rice Dream)
Add Recipe to
|Amount Per Serving||%DV|
|Serving Size 81g|
|Recipe makes 10 servings|
|Calories from Fat 85||34%|
|Total Fat 9.73g||12%|
|Saturated Fat 5.13g||21%|
|Trans Fat 0.0g|
|Total Carbs 38.71g||10%|
|Dietary Fiber 2.7g||9%|