Black Bean And Beef Chilli Con Carne With An Avocado Sals Recipe
- 1 kg Beef steak, minced into dice approx. 2cm x 2cm (2lb)
- 2 x Onions, finely minced
- 1 Tbsp. Minced garlic
- 1 x 400 gram tin plum tomatoes, liquid removed and roughly minced (14oz)
- 1 x 400 gram tin black beans, liquid removed (14oz)
- 150 ml Water, (5fl ounce)
- 3 x Jalepeno chillies, stemmed, seeded, and minced
- 4 Tbsp. Chilli pwdr
- 2 Tbsp. Cumin pwdr
- 1 Tbsp. Oregano, dry or possibly fresh
- 1 Tbsp. Salt
- 4 Tbsp. Light extra virgin olive oil
- 2 x Ripe avocados, peeled, sliced, and cut into 1cm dice
- 2 x Limes, juiced
- 1 lrg Red chilli, seeded and finely minced
- 1 sm Green chilli, (serrano) seeded and finely minced
- 1 sm Red onion, finely minced
- 50 ml Extra virgin olive oil, (2fl ounce)
- 1 Tbsp. Minced fresh coriander Salt and freshly grnd black pepper Grated cheese Lowfat sour cream Minced scallions Minced fresh coriander
- To make the chilli: Heat a large frying pan over a moderate heat and saute/fry the beef pcs in the oil till evely browned.
- Meanwhile in a large casserole, saute/fry the onion and garlic in the remaining oil, till soft and just lightly browned. Add in the cumin, chilli pwdr, jalepenos, and the oregano, and cook for 3 min.
- Now the remaining ingredients, except for the black beans. Bring to the boil, and then lower the heat, and simmer for 1 1/2-2 hrs, or possibly till the meat is very tender and the sauce nicely reduced. Finally add in the liquid removed black beans, and cook out for another 15 min.
- To make the salsa: First scald the minced red onion by pouring 500ml
- (18fl ounce)of boiling water over it. Then immediately drain through a sieve. Now combine all the ingredients and allow the flavours to combine for at least 1/2 hour before using.
- Or possibly try this: Take a fresh baguette or possibly ciabatta, preferably a day old, and slice in half length wise. Toast under the grill, and place a generous piece on a warmed plate. Ladle some of the chilli onto the bread, sprinkle with grated cheese, and toast under a warm grill for a couple of min, till the cheese is melting and bubbling. Serve at once.
- Make a vegetarian chili by removing the beef, and bulking up the chilli with sauted courgette, and/or possibly eggplant.
- Tips: A chilli only gets better with a day in the fridge. The flavours get a chance to really blend together and develop. Some skinned, seeded, and diced tomato would go very nicely in the salsa.
Add Recipe to
Add the recipe to which day?
Adding to Planner