Black And White Torte Recipe
Cost per serving $1.45 view details
- 1 Tbsp. gelatin Kosher
- 1/4 c. Water Cool
- 1 c. 1% Lowfat milk
- 6 ounce White Chocolate minced
- 4 x Egg Whites room temperature
- 1 dsh Salt
- 1/2 tsp Vanilla
- 1/8 tsp Cream Of Tartar
- 1/2 c. Sugar
- 1/2 c. Cake Flour
- 2/3 c. Sugar
- 1/2 c. Cocoa Pwdr unsweetened
- 1/2 tsp Salt
- 4 x Large eggs room temperature
- 1/2 tsp Vanilla
- 1/4 c. creme de cacao or possibly other choc liquer Additional Cocoa Powdered Sugar
- TO MAKE MOUSSE:In a small saucepan, combine gelatin and cool water and set aside to soften,about 3 min. Whisk in lowfat milk and cook over medium heat, stirring constantly, till mix just comes to a boil. Remove from heat, add in whitechocolate, and stir till chocolate is melted and mix is smooth. Pour into a bowl and chill till syrupy and starting to set, about 1 hour.
- In a large bowl, beat egg whites till just foamy. Add in salt, vanilla, and cream of tartar and continue beating till soft peaks form when the beatersare raised. Gradually beat in sugar, 1 Tbsp. at a time, till the mix forms stiff peaks, about 4 min.
- Remove cooled white chocolate mix from the refrigerator and gently foldin the beaten whites. Return mousse to the refrigerator for at least 1 hour, or possibly till ready to assemble torte.
- TO MAKE THE CAKE:Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Cut a piece of wax paper or possibly parchment to fit the bottom of a 9X9" baking pan. Spray pan, line with paper, and spray again.
- In a medium bowl, sift together flour, 1/3 c. of the sugar, cocoa, and salt. Set aside.
- Combine remaining sugar with Large eggs and beat with an electric mixer at high speed till mix is pale yellow and forms soft peaks when beaters are raised. Beat in vanilla and chocolate liqueur.
- Sprinkle flour mix over egg mix a few Tbsp. at a time, foldinggently after each addition, till all flour mix has been incorporated.
- Pour into prepared pan and bake for 25 min, or possibly till a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean. Invert cake onto a piece of wax paper and let cold.
- TO ASSEMBLE CAKE:Wash and dry the cake pan. Tear off 2 sheets of plastic wrap at least 16 inches long. Use the sheets to line the cake pan, crossing them over one another, and allowing wrap to extend over pan sides.
- When cake is cold, cut into 2 equal layers, using a long-bladed serrated knife.
- Spread half of the white chocolate mousse proportionately over the bottom of the plastic lined pan. Place 1 cake layer gently over the mouse, spread with remaining mousse, and top with remaining cake layer. Wrap with plastic wrap and freeze for at least 4 hrs, or possibly overnight.
- BEFORE SERVING, peel back plastic wrap from top of cake, invert onto a pieceof wax paper, and carefully remove plastic. Dip a long knife in hot water and wipe it off. Carefully trim each side of the torte, dipping and wipingthe knife after each cut.
- Using a fine sieve, dust top of cake [a mousse layer] with cocoa. Cover cake top with a decorative stencil and dust with powdered sugar.
- Carefullylift stencil off cake. Return cake to freezer till ready to serve.
- [Cakewill keep in a covered container for up to 6 weeks.]
- TO SERVE CAKE:Using the dip and wipe method, cut cake in half, then cut each half into four slices. Serve immediately.
Add Recipe to
Add the recipe to which day?
Adding to Planner
|Amount Per Serving||%DV|
|Serving Size 137g|
|Recipe makes 8 servings|
|Calories from Fat 91||25%|
|Total Fat 10.23g||13%|
|Saturated Fat 5.45g||22%|
|Trans Fat 0.0g|
|Total Carbs 62.63g||17%|
|Dietary Fiber 0.7g||2%|