Best Blueberry Bread Pudding with Lemoncello Sauce Recipe
This is cooking school 101. Easy - and impressive, which takes it to graduate school! Besides, I also have blueberries to use before this year's crop begins to fruit out.
The end result is every bit as delicious as the photo appears.
Cost per serving $1.14 view details
- FOR THE PUDDING:
- 2 c whole milk
- 1 c heavy cream
- 6 c somewhat old bread (about a standard loaf, crusts removed). You do not want a fresh loaf, so let it breath for a day, but use it before it becomes penicillin...teasr the peices of bread into random, bite-sized pieces
- 3 large eggs
- 1 c granulated sugar
- 1/2 tsp lemon zest
- 1/2 tsp pure vanilla extract
- 1/2 tsp pure almond extract
- 2 c blueberries, drained of any juice, if frozen
- 2 Tbs butter or shortening
- FOR THE SAUCE:
- 1/4 c lemoncello
- 1/2 c water
- 1 c confectioners sugar
- 1/2 c slivered almonds, well-toasted
- 1 generous Tbs fresh lemon zest
- THE PUDDING:
- Preheat the oven to 350^, rack low
- Butter ramekins or a 7x11 oven dish
- Combine all the pudding ingredients (except the blueberries and bread) in a large bowl and vigously whisk together
- Add the bread to the liquid and turn to combine - you can use your hands, it's OK...
- Let the mixture rest for about 10-15 minutes
- Heat 4-6 cups of water to very hot on the stove and get out a larger pan that will hold your ramekins or baking dish. You need these in a few minutes
- Gently fold the blueberries into the bread pudding mixture
- Pour the pudding mixture into the baking dish or ladle it into the ramekins
- Place the baking dish or ramekins into the larger pan and add the 4-6 cups of very hot water to the large pan (You are baking this pudding in a water bath, a 'bain'
- Bake for an hour without opening the oven. Then look to be sure the top is light golded browned and the toothpick test is successful. Adjust as necessary if you need to add another 5-10 minutes
- THE SAUCE:
- Heat the lemoncello and burn off the alcohol
- Add the water, lemon zest and the sugar and reduce over low heat to creat asomewhat thick syrup - if it gets too thick, add a touch more water. Stir from time to time
- When the baking is done, remove from the oven.
- Pour the lemoncello sauce all over the top of the pudding.
- Sprinkle the toasted almonds on top of the pudding and serve
- Great warm, room termperature or cool
Add Recipe to
Add the recipe to which day?
Adding to Planner
|Amount Per Serving||%DV|
|Serving Size 153g|
|Recipe makes 12 servings|
|Calories from Fat 81||30%|
|Total Fat 9.2g||12%|
|Saturated Fat 4.74g||19%|
|Trans Fat 0.0g|
|Total Carbs 45.48g||12%|
|Dietary Fiber 1.0g||3%|