Beef Caldereta with Coco Milk Recipe
A twist of my favorite caldereta.
Cost per recipe $9.71 view details
- 1 Tablespoon Butter and 1 tablespoon Olive Oil
- 2 lbs / 1 kilo stewing beef, chopped into 1 ½ - 2” chunks,
- 6-8 garlic cloves, crushed
- 2 medium onions, chopped
- 4-5 Plum Tomatoes, diced
- 1 teaspoon Salt
- ½ teaspoon, freshly ground Black Pepper
- 2 teaspoons, Fish Sauce*
- 2 Bay leaves
- 1 cup Beef broth (or water)
- 1 can of Coconut Milk*
- 3-4 medium Red potatoes, chopped into 1” cubes
- 2 medium carrots, sliced into 1” cubes
- Additional oil for frying the potatoes and carrots
- ½ large Red Bell Pepper, chopped
- ½ large Green Bell Pepper, chopped
- 1 Chili/hot pepper of choice or ¼-½ teaspoon Red Chili flakes*
- 2-3 Tablespoons Del Monte tomato sauce
- 1 Chili/hot pepper of choice or ¼-½ teaspoon Red Chili flakes
- Heat the olive oil and butter over medium to high heat in a heavy sauce pan or Dutch oven. Just heat until butter is melted.
- Sear the beef chunks on all sides. Do it in batches if they won’t fit in the pan. Set aside.
- In the remaining fat, sauté the garlic cloves and chopped onions for a minute.
- Add the diced tomatoes and cook for about 3-4 minutes or until the tomatoes have softened a little. Return the beef to the pan. Stir everything.
- Season with salt, pepper and fish sauce (if using). Add the bay leaves at this point.
- Pour in the beef broth or water and the coconut milk.
- Bring to a boil. Lower the heat, cover and simmer until the meat is fork tender about 1 ½ -2 hours. Stir occasionally during cooking. If by any chance, the stew dries up just add a little water or beef broth.
- In the meantime, fry the chopped potatoes and carrots. When the meat is already tender, add the potatoes, carrots and bell peppers. If using some chili peppers, add it at this point.
- Continue to cook for about 5 minutes or until the bell peppers are tender.
- Stir in the and tomato sauce. Simmer until everything is heated thoroughly.
- Adjust the seasoning with a little salt or fish sauce, if necessary.
Add Recipe to
Add the recipe to which day?
Adding to Planner
|Amount Per Recipe||%DV|
|Recipe Size 2194g|
|Calories from Fat 884||51%|
|Total Fat 104.95g||131%|
|Saturated Fat 88.25g||353%|
|Trans Fat 0.0g|
|Total Carbs 185.79g||50%|
|Dietary Fiber 25.9g||86%|