Beans, Greens and Sausage Soup Recipe
I found a mix of baby winter greens to use with this, but you can use whatever you like from spinach and chard to baby kale.
Cost per serving $0.87 view details
- 12 oz. dried cannellini beans (or two cans) or small white beans
- 1/2 pound fresh or frozen spinach, or fresh braising greens, chopped
- 8 oz. bulk/loose hot or mild Italian sausage, browned
- 1 small onion, chopped
- 1 tsp. finely minced fresh garlic
- 1 can diced or crushed tomatoes or 3-4 large, fresh tomatoes diced
- 1 can beef broth or 2 C home made beef stock
- 1 tsp. dried oregano
- 1/4 tsp. salt
- 1/4 tsp. ground pepper
- 10 cups water
- 1/2 cup dried penne, cooked al dente and drained (add this to the dish, not the pot because they will balloon up if they sit in liquid for any significant amount of time, like overnight)
- Grated or shredded Parmesan or Romano cheese for garnish
- Soak the beans over night, drain. Rinse.
- Place beans in a 6-quart saucepan, cover generously with water and bring to a boil.
- Reduce the heat and simmer for at least 10 minutes, drain.
- Return the beans to the pan.
- Saute the sausage until browned, add to beans.
- Saute the onion until almost translucent, add the garlic and stir.
- Add sausage and onions to beans.
- Add the beef broth, tomatoes, oregano, salt, pepper and water to the bean mixture.
- Bring mixture to a boil and immediately lower the heat to simmer. The liquid will bubble gently around the edges.
- The beans should be tender in an hour.
- Cover and continue cooking until the soup is as thick as you wish.
- To serve: Put noodles in the bottom of the bowl and ladle soup over.
Add Recipe to
Add the recipe to which day?
Adding to Planner
|Amount Per Serving||%DV|
|Serving Size 618g|
|Recipe makes 6 servings|
|Calories from Fat 19||12%|
|Total Fat 2.2g||3%|
|Saturated Fat 1.02g||4%|
|Trans Fat 0.0g|
|Total Carbs 26.66g||7%|
|Dietary Fiber 4.8g||16%|