Basic Chicken Curry Recipe
My daughter's 2nd dish to learn.
- 1 whole chicken, cut into serving sizes
- 2 tbsp cooking oil
- 2 large sized potatoes, peeled and cubed
- 2 large sized carrots, peeled and cubed
- 1 tbsp ginger, peeled and grated
- 2 med sized onions, chopped
- 3 med sized tomatoes, chopped
- 1 cup water
- 1 tbsp fish sauce (patis)
- pinch of ground pepper and salt to taste
- 5 tbsp yellow curry powder
- 1 cup or 1 medium sized can evaporated or coconut milk
- 3 medium sized red and/or green bell peppers, chopped
- pinch of paprika, chili powder, or chili flakes (optional, if you prefer it hot and spicy)
- Heat a large wok. Add oil.
- Fry the potatoes until partially brown. Set aside.
- On the same wok (add some more oil if necessary), saute garlic, ginger, onion, tomatoes, and the chicken pieces.
- Season with salt and pepper.
- Cook until there's a hint of brown on the meat.
- Add water and patis.
- Turn down the heat. Simmer for about 15-20 minutes while stirring occasionally.
- Add more water if it is starting to dry up without drowning the entire dish. It's supposed to be a stew, not a soup.
- Add the carrots, curry powder, and milk.
- Simmer for another 10 minutes.
- Add the remaining ingredients -- bell pepper, potatoes, and chilies.
- Simmer for 10 minutes more.
- Make sure the carrots are cooked.
- Taste test to check if it needs additional seasoning.
- Serve with rice.
Add Recipe to
Add the recipe to which day?
Adding to Planner