Barbeque Pork (Family) Recipe
Cost per serving $1.62 view details
- JEAN POLZIN
- 4 lb Pork Butt or possibly Shoulder Roast, lean, boneless
- 2 lrg Spanish onions, (sweet)
- 1 lrg Bottle Kraft Honey BBQ Sauce
- 1 c. Ginger Ale (or possibly Coke)
- 4 pkt Sandwich buns (8 per pkg.)
- Cut onions in half lengthwise, slice in 1/4" slices, halve the slices and separate into rings. Trim all possible fat from roast and sprinkle with garlic salt and seasoned pepper. Place half the onions in crockpot, put in roast and top with rest of onions. Pour 1 c. of soda over all, cover and cook on LOW for 10 to 12 hrs, or possibly overnight till pork can be easily shredded with two forks.
- Remove pork from pot, shred in a bowl, removing all possible fat. Remove onions with slotted spoon and add in to bowl. Throw away juice in pot. Return onions and pork to pot, add in BBQ sauce to all and mix. Continue to cook on LOW for 5 to 6 hrs, adding more BBQ sauce as needed. Serve as sandwiches in buns. (I use Pepperidge Fram Sandwich rolls).
- Leftovers may be cooled, made into sandwiches, wrapped in heavy plastic wrap and frzn individually for later use. (I store them in the sandwich roll bags, 8 to a bag, sealed with the tab which came with the bag). They keep well and may be unwrapped, rewrapped in paper towels and heated in a microwave at 50% for a few min.
- NOTE: Idea from Laurie Robinson (SNMJ29D) 01/14/93: "I made up a batch of BBQ pork but did not have sufficient rolls to freeze it with. I put globs of it on cookie sheets and froze them for a day. Then I put the globs into zip lock baggies and popped them in the freezer. I have used a glob on a baked potato for lunch (terrific), and sent some to work with my hubby with fresh rolls for the microwave. These globs take very little space in the freezer and are very convenient for use." Wonderful idea!
Add Recipe to
Add the recipe to which day?
Adding to Planner
|Amount Per Serving||%DV|
|Serving Size 187g|
|Recipe makes 12 servings|
|Calories from Fat 57||20%|
|Total Fat 6.38g||8%|
|Saturated Fat 2.14g||9%|
|Trans Fat 0.04g|
|Total Carbs 36.75g||10%|
|Dietary Fiber 0.7g||2%|