Barbecued Wings Charlotte Style Recipe
North Carolina prides itself on its barbecue. You can find any number of variations for this classic regional sauce throughout North Carolina's barbecue emporiums.
I found this fantastic grilled chicken wing recipe in Mario Batali's "Mario Tailgates NASCAR Style" cookbook published in 2006. The reason it's fantastic, you can precook the wings at home and finish them on the grill at your tailgate party and picnics.
- 24 Whole Chicken Wings, Halved and Tips Removed
- 2 Cups Apple Cider Vinegar
- 3/4 Cup Tomato Paste
- 1/4 Cup Ketchup
- 3 Tbsp. Packed Brown Sugar
- 1 Tbsp. Peanut Oil
- 1 Tbsp. Worcestershire Sauce
- 1 Tsp. Red Pepper Flakes
- 1 Tsp. Salt
- Mix all ingredients except wings in a medium bowl; set aside.
- Place the chicken wings in a medium pot. Add the other ingredients and bring the liquid to a boil over medium-high heat.
- Immediately reduce the heat to medium-low and simmer wings until just cooked through, about 25 minutes.
- Let the wings rest in the pot with the sauce overnight in the refrigerator or ice-filled cooler.
- Grill the wings over medium-high heat until nicely browned, about 8 - 10 minutes. Turn the wings a few times during grilling and baste them liberally with sauce from the pot.
- Serve immediately with lots of napkins.
Add Recipe to
|Amount Per Serving||%DV|
|Serving Size 148g|
|Recipe makes 8 servings|
|Calories from Fat 84||46%|
|Total Fat 9.33g||12%|
|Saturated Fat 2.42g||10%|
|Trans Fat 0.09g|
|Total Carbs 12.58g||3%|
|Dietary Fiber 1.0g||3%|