Banana in brown sugar ice cream Recipe
Cost per serving $0.97 view details
- 600 g very ripe bananas (6-7 medium), peeled and cut into 1 cm slices
- 135 g light or brown sugar
- 500 ml coconut milk or full-fat sour cream
- Big pinch of sea salt
- 1 tsp dark rum
- 1/2 tsp vanilla extract
- Lemon juice, optional
- In a wide saucepan, heat the brown sugar with one-quarter of the coconut milk or sour cream, stirring, until smooth and bubbly.
- Add the bananas and salt, and continue to cook for 5 minutes, stirring occasionally, until the bananas are soft and completely cooked through.
- Remove from heat and stir in the remaining coconut milk or sour cream, rum and vanilla. If it tastes too sweet, add a few drops of fresh lemon juice.
- Puree in a blender or food processor until completely smooth.
- Chill thoroughly for 1 hour or overnight, then pour into the ice cream maker and proceed according to the manufacturer's instructions.
- Serving: take it out for 5-10 minutes before serving, or longer, so it comes to the right scooping temperature.
- Light note: if you use sour cream when cooking the bananas, the mixture might curdle a bit. Nothing to worry, just proceed with the recipe and it'll smooth out when blended.
- Easy suggestion: ice cream is best served in chilled glass or porcelain bowls. Scoop it with a hot, but dry, ice-cream spoon (soak it in boiling water, then wipe dry).
Add Recipe to
Add the recipe to which day?
Adding to Planner
|Amount Per Serving||%DV|
|Serving Size 175g|
|Recipe makes 6 servings|
|Calories from Fat 144||47%|
|Total Fat 17.19g||21%|
|Saturated Fat 15.13g||61%|
|Trans Fat 0.0g|
|Total Carbs 40.07g||11%|
|Dietary Fiber 1.7g||6%|