Awesome Split Pea Soup Recipe
Cost per serving $1.80 view details
- 1 lb split peas, rinsed
- 1-2 pounds ham shank or other bone-in ham piece
- 1 Tbsp minced fresh thyme or 1 tsp dried thyme
- 2.5 quarts water
- 2 carrots peeled and chopped
- 2 onions minced
- 2 celery ribs chopped
- 3 small new potatoes, scrubbed and chopped
- 1 tsp salt and more to taste
- Fresh ground black pepper to taste
- 2 Tbsp fresh lemon juice (optional)
- 2 medium garlic cloves minced (optional)
- 1 Tbsp extra virgin olive oil (optional)
- Bring the peas, ham, thyme, 1 tsp salt, and water to simmer in a large pot. Cover and cook for 1 hour.
- Stir in the carrots, onions, celery and potatoes. Continue to simmer until the peas have softened, about 30 minutes. (Optional, saute carrots, onions, celery and potatoes in 1 Tbsp olive oil over high heat for 8-10 minutes until browned, then add the garlic cloves and saute for 1 more minute, before adding everything to the pot. This adds a little nuttiness to the flavor, but is not necessary for a great soup.)
- Remove the ham shank, chop, and add back to the soup. Continue to simmer for 10 minutes. Stir in the lemon juice (optional), season with salt and pepper, and serve with a crusty bread!
- You can leave out the ham altogether for a still tasty dish. If you do so, I would add more salt liberally and perhaps 1/2 tsp of ground cumin for additional flavor.
Add Recipe to
Add the recipe to which day?
Adding to Planner
|Amount Per Serving||%DV|
|Serving Size 507g|
|Recipe makes 8 servings|
|Calories from Fat 48||14%|
|Total Fat 5.46g||7%|
|Saturated Fat 1.39g||6%|
|Trans Fat 0.0g|
|Total Carbs 47.22g||13%|
|Dietary Fiber 16.6g||55%|