Asparagus with Lemon Sauce Recipe
This fulfilled my need to go beyond that same old, same old steamed asparagus. The lip-smacking sauce is just lemony-perfect. Inspired by allrecipes.com.
Cost per serving $1.91 view details
- 18 ounces asparagus, trimmed
- 1/2 teaspoon lemon zest
- 1 1/2 teaspoons lemon juice
- 3 egg yolks
- 1/4 cup cold water
- 1/4 cup butter melted
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- Pinch of cayenne or red pepper flakes
- ASPARAGUS: (Can be prepared in advance and chilled until use, up to 24 hours; let asparagus stand 1 hour at room temperature before serving.)
- In medium-large pot cook asparagus in boiling water 3-4 minutes until crisp-tender (or steam it in a basket.)
- Drain; transfer asparagus to large bowl of ice water to cool thoroughly. Drain well.
- At this point, either cover and chill several hours (up to 24), or place asparagus in serving dish. Sprinkle lemon zest on top and serve with prepared sauce, recipe below.
- LEMON SAUCE:
- In medium size heat-proof bowl whisk together egg yolks with cold water until mixture lightens and quadruples in size, about 3-4 minutes.
- Place bowl over saucepan with 1 to2 inches of simmering water (pan should be sized to accommodate bowl without allowing bowl to touch water.)
- Continue to whisk until sauce becomes thick and glossy, about 3 to 4 minutes.
- Using a rubber spatula scrape sides of bowl and fold sauce inward until a thermometer registers 160 degrees F.
- Remove from heat. Gradually whisk in lemon juice, butter, salt, and cayenne until combined.
Add Recipe to
Add the recipe to which day?
Adding to Planner
|Amount Per Serving||%DV|
|Serving Size 79g|
|Recipe makes 5 servings|
|Calories from Fat 82||88%|
|Total Fat 9.29g||12%|
|Saturated Fat 5.86g||23%|
|Trans Fat 0.0g|
|Total Carbs 2.32g||1%|
|Dietary Fiber 1.2g||4%|