Arroz caldo, the Filipino-style congee Recipe
Cost per serving $0.79 view details
- 5 Garlic cloves, crushed and chopped
- 1 Red onion, cut in strips
- 1 Fist-size ginger, cut in thin strips
- 250g Chicken breast, cut in chunks
- 1/2 tsp Salt
- 1 tsp Whole peppercorns
- 1 tsp Freshly ground peppercorns (ground peppers may do, if no pepper grinder)
- 4 cups Water for stock or 4 cups chicken stocks
- 2 stalks green onions, chopped
- 1/2 cup Rice, washed not cooked
- 2 tbsp Cooking oil
- 3 tsp Fish sauce
- 1 Whole lemon
- First, the stock. Bring the chicken to a boil together with the onions, garlic, whole peppercorns, 1 tsp fish sauce and a dash of salt. Scoop out the scum when the water begins to boil. Set aside the chicken stock after it boils for about 7 minutes.
- Next, the rice. Stir-fry 1/3 of the ginger strips. When they turn golden, set aside for garnish later. Using the same pot and oil, toss the rest of the ginger and the onions. Stir well until the onions soften. Put the cooked chicken in this dish. Season with 1 tsp fish sauce. When the chicken releases its juices, add the rice. Mash the rice against the pan and the chicken. This will allow the rice to absorb the chicken's flavor. Put 1/2 a cup of chicken stock as your stir in the rice. Do this continuously until you notice the rice to open up or break. Pour the rest of the remaining stock and allow the dish to boil under low heat. When the rice cooks entirely, season the dish once more with fish sauce and pepper.
- Lastly, we serve. Cut a thin slice of lemon. Put the arroz caldo into the bowl; and garnish it with the lemon, ginger strips and onion greens. I promise the aroma is just as good as its taste. Enjoy this dish while it is hot.
Add Recipe to
Add the recipe to which day?
Adding to Planner
|Amount Per Serving||%DV|
|Serving Size 273g|
|Recipe makes 6 servings|
|Calories from Fat 70||39%|
|Total Fat 7.81g||10%|
|Saturated Fat 1.26g||5%|
|Trans Fat 0.16g|
|Total Carbs 17.94g||5%|
|Dietary Fiber 1.1g||4%|