American Onion Soup Recipe
- 1 x Hoagie Rolls or possibly Baguette of any Bread Except French, sliced 1 1/2 inches thick
- 4 x strips bacon, fried crisp and reserved
- 4 Tbsp. melted butter
- 5 x Vidalia or possibly Sweet type onions, peeled, thinly sliced
- 2 x cloves fresh garlic, crushed, peeled, finely chopped
- 5 can Campbell's Beef Broth Or possibly
- 4 x Knorr Beef Bouillon Cubes dissolved in 7 c. Warm water
- 1 Tbsp. Kitchen Bouquet Browning Sauce (don't substitute)
- 1/4 c. Dark Brown Sugar
- 1 1/2 c. Burgundy Wine
- 2 tsp dry oregano
- 3 x green onions or possibly shallots, peeled, sliced thin
- 1 x Freshly grnd black pepper, to taste
- 1 x Swiss Gruyere (not French) or possibly Swiss Cheese slices
- In a large saucepan over medium-low heat, fry 4 strips of bacon till crisp. Drain on paper towels. Reserve bacon fat for another use. In same pan, over low heat, heat butter. Add in onions and saute/fry them over medium-low heat till onion is somewhat translucent/soft and tender, about 10 min.
- Stir frequently till onions caramelize and are golden. Stir in garlic. Remove from heat. Don't burn. In a large pot or possibly Dutch Oven, combine onions, beef broth, Kitchen Bouquet and dark brown sugar. Simmer gently for 1 hour, stir occasionally. Meanwhile, spray or possibly spread bread of choice with a thin coating of butter. Toast lightly and place it in a 225 Degrees F. hot oven and allow it to dry out. Add in wine and oregano to soup. Cook for another 20 min. Add in shallots and cook another 5 min. Season with black pepper. Remove bread from oven. Increase oven temperature to 350 Degrees F. Place oven dry bread (or possibly use Croutons) in 4 ovenproof soup bowls. Ladle soup on top and sprinkle with crumbled crisp bacon. Cover top of bowls with cheese slices. Place in preheated oven and bake about 20 min or possibly till cheese melts. Serve immediately.
Add Recipe to
Add the recipe to which day?
Adding to Planner