Alton Brown Lentil Soup Recipe
I adapted this recipe from one by Alton Brown. I added spinach, potatoes, and scallions and removed grains of paradise. Our whole family really enjoyed this recipe. I made it alongside an Indian curried lentil soup recipe, and while both were good, this was the hands down winner. If you're looking for a tasty, hearty, and healthy soup to serve this winter, look no further!
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 cup finely chopped onion
- 1/2 cup finely chopped carrot
- 1/2 cup finely chopped celery
- 2 teaspoons kosher salt
- 1 pound lentils, picked and rinsed
- 2 large russet potatoes, cut into 1/2 inch cubes
- 1 cup peeled and chopped tomatoes
- 2 quarts chicken or vegetable broth
- 1/2 teaspoon freshly ground coriander
- 1/2 teaspoon freshly ground toasted cumin
- 10 oz package frozen spinach
- 2 scallions, finely chopped
- Place the olive oil into a large 6-quart soup pot or Dutch oven and set over medium heat. Once hot, add the onion, carrot, celery and salt and sweat until the onions are translucent, approximately 6 to 7 minutes. (If you are concerned about salt intake, use just 1 teaspoon and serve additional salt on the table for those who want more.)
- Add the lentils, potatoes, tomatoes, broth, coriander, cumin and stir to combine. Increase the heat to high and bring just to a boil. Reduce the heat to low, cover and cook at a low simmer for about 25 minutes. Add the frozen spinach and continue to cook until the lentils are tender, approximately 10 to 15 minutes.
- Optional: Using a stick blender, puree approximately a quarter of the soup or more to your preferred consistency. Top with chopped scallions as desired and serve immediately.
- Suggestion: This is a very flavorful soup, but since the recipe did not call for any black pepper or other hot spice, I served a red pepper sauce (Sriracha) on the side for people to add as desired.
Add Recipe to
|Amount Per Serving||%DV|
|Serving Size 540g|
|Recipe makes 6 servings|
|Calories from Fat 343||38%|
|Total Fat 38.16g||48%|
|Saturated Fat 10.06g||40%|
|Trans Fat 0.0g|
|Total Carbs 74.59g||20%|
|Dietary Fiber 27.4g||91%|