5-Hour Pork Sugo Recipe
Sugo is a long-cooked Italian sauce; similar to a Ragu or a Bolognese. Choose your favorite pasta to go with this big and decadent dish. Enjoy!
Cost per serving $2.87 view details
- 1 carrot, trimmed
- 1 onion, peeled
- 4 stalks celery
- 2-3 juniper berries
- 1 allspice berry
- 2 cloves
- 2 peppercorns
- 4 ounces dry porcini mushrooms, soaked in 1 quart water, liquid strained and reserved
- Â¼ cup olive oil
- 2 pounds ground pork
- Salt and pepper to taste
- 1 bottle red wine, such as Barbera or Dolcetto
- 1 quart low-sodium beef broth
- 1 tablespoon rosemary leaves, finely chopped
- 1 tablespoon thyme leaves, finely chopped
- 1 tablespoon sage leaves, finely chopped
- 1 bay leaf
- 1 cup crushed tomato
- 1 cup cream
- 1 Â¼ to 1 Â½ pounds fresh pasta such as tagliatelle, fettucine, papparadelle or tajarin, or dried short pasta such as rigatoni or penne
- Butter, to finish
- Parmesan cheese, to serve
- Chop carrot, onion, celery and mushrooms in a food processor.
- In a spice grinder, or mortar and pestle, grind juniper, allspice, cloves and pepper.
- In a large Dutch oven, sweat vegetables and mushrooms in olive oil over medium heat until they become soft, 5 to 7 minutes, then add the pork, stirring until cooked through. Season with salt and pepper.
- Add wine, broth, mushroom liquid, herbs and spices. Bring to a boil. Reduce to a simmer and reduce by half for 1 to 1 Â½ hours.
- Add tomatoes and simmer on very low heat for 5 hours.
- Add cream and allow sauce to simmer gently until it has emulsified, about 20 minutes. (If freezing the sauce, wait to add the cream until just before serving the pasta).
- Boil the pasta in well-salted water. If using fresh pasta, toss the pasta in butter and season it well with salt and pepper. Then serve immediately in shallow bowls, topped with 1/3 to Â½ cup of sauce. If using short pasta, toss the pasta in the sauce with some butter and serve immediately in shallow bowls. Garnish with fresh Parmesan cheese.
Add Recipe to
Add the recipe to which day?
Adding to Planner
|Amount Per Serving||%DV|
|Serving Size 472g|
|Recipe makes 8 servings|
|Calories from Fat 443||50%|
|Total Fat 49.75g||62%|
|Saturated Fat 21.16g||85%|
|Trans Fat 0.0g|
|Total Carbs 64.89g||17%|
|Dietary Fiber 4.0g||13%|